Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Annoying issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Annoying issue

I am headed to Vera Cadillac, that's where my brudda Jamie works, today. Need a few things taken care off includng the trunk lock mechanism-this type of stuff pizzes me off!!! And now a new problem just happened, how in the H3LL do you get rid of the annoying 'R' for reverse and its affects. My car is programmed to drop the passenger side mirror to the ground when in reverse, and now it does the same when driving at 80MPH on the interstate. Please advise if you have the fix for this, thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Mine has done that a couple times. I'll stop, put it in R then put it back in 1st and it takes care of it.

When mine's done that it's usually when I put the car in 1st while I'm still slowly rolling back.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had that happen, but you can stop the mirror from turning down in the menu system. I think its part of the personal settings, so you have to be stopped. I turned mine on for about a week, didnt like it, so i turned it back off. I think that might solve your problem.

Otherwise i wonder if in 5th/6th (since your doing 80) that its hitting the lockout, making it think its in R. Are you pushing it over too hard? Like do you notice it doing it when your shifting? Or just if your in 5th/6th doing 70 and you get up to 80 and it does it?

Cuz when your shifting into 6th (and 5th for that matter) you hit the 'reverse lockout'... keeping you from pushing the shifter too far and ending up in reverse. But if you push it hard enough you can get past the lockout, maybe your hitting it just hard enough to open it, so it thinks its going into reverse. And the reverse settings (you mirror moving back into pace) are not disabled until you put it in 1st... which you wouldnt do on the freeway.

just a thought.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 07-31-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^Thanks for your info and input. The 'R' comes up in all the gears, so I thin I will just change the menu. Please advise on how to do this, as it has been years since I have changed anything in the set-up.
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Launching!

It is a problem with the shifter mechanism, they had to change mine out to get rid of the problem. The good news is, they replaced mine with a new version that had much tighter gate and a shorter throw!

I think the option is in Main Menu > Set-up >
Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^Thanks, I will toy with the shifter, UCC-not factory/stock, and then change in Menu if that does not work.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onebadcad
^^^Thanks, I will toy with the shifter, UCC-not factory/stock, and then change in Menu if that does not work.
I think the issue is actually beneath the shifter in the rails/arms but it can never hurt to look.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the reverse lockout solenoid can go bad to the point that it makes the R display, but doesn't stop the actual lockout function.

Actually maybe it's not the solenoid itself but another electrical part. ewill3rd on cadillacforums talked about how it can go bad and cause that.

THE BEST PART about your situation is that when that R is up, your reverse lights are probably on. That'll scare the **** outta some people behind you on the interstate, especially at 80 mph!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
THE BEST PART about your situation is that when that R is up, your reverse lights are probably on. That'll scare the **** outta some people behind you on the interstate, especially at 80 mph!
Wow, I think this needs to be verified as that is embarassing.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmaro00
Wow, I think this needs to be verified as that is embarassing.
Verified as accurate, I feel like a Frenchman driving a Peugot, or whatever the h3ll they drive overtha!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Verified as accurate, I feel like a Frenchman driving a Peugot, or whatever the h3ll they drive overtha!
Time to remove your reverse lights.

Quick Reply: Annoying issue