Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mac Differental Girtle Cover Impressions!!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Mac Differental Girtle Cover Impressions!!

Well finally installed the cover for the 10 bolt and man what a diffrence in acceleration. I know alot of people say to get a 9 inch or 12 bolt but I have a daily driven car and occasionly take it to the track. I wanted the stock feel and a little support. I still am on street tires. I reccommend anyone to get the cover I dont think it is a waste and I am not using slicks so I dont think I have to worry. My imediate impressions are a tight feel for the car during acceleration. Before it felt loose.but now it feels tight and more responsive.

Hope this helps in anyone deciding to get a rear cover. Oh yea the bolts they give you will not fit but use RTV sealer for gasket.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think the cover made a difference you should try some nitro-fish blinker fluid.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Or rather that if they included a sticker of there brandname put it on the center of your dash so you can tell people its faster.

Just kidding, glad you like the cover i think i may pick one up.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Well finally installed the cover for the 10 bolt and man what a diffrence in acceleration. I know alot of people say to get a 9 inch or 12 bolt but I have a daily driven car and occasionly take it to the track. I wanted the stock feel and a little support. I still am on street tires. I reccommend anyone to get the cover I dont think it is a waste and I am not using slicks so I dont think I have to worry. My imediate impressions are a tight feel for the car during acceleration. Before it felt loose.but now it feels tight and more responsive.

Hope this helps in anyone deciding to get a rear cover. Oh yea the bolts they give you will not fit but use RTV sealer for gasket.

Is this the piece in question?

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1223

You are fooling yourself if you have the mods in your sig. Ticking time bomb and that piece you shouldn't feel anything. Just my .002
Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea but I bought mine from ws6store.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

it's amazing how your mind can trick you into thinking you feel a difference. it won't make a difference you can feel, but it might make your 10 bolt last a little longer...maybe.

i had one on my car when i bought it. now i have a 9" and no worries
Old 07-31-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That piece has zero possibility of improving rear
wheel torque or acceleration. Durability against
one of the many failure modes, perhaps.

I've got one and can tell you it made no diff (heh)
in my track times.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do they really do anything in terms of sturdying up the rear? I'm thinking about getting one for my 12-bolt. I know it would probably be kinda useless on a 10-bolt though, just delaying the inevitable.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
That piece has zero possibility of improving rear
wheel torque or acceleration. Durability against
one of the many failure modes, perhaps.

I've got one and can tell you it made no diff (heh)
in my track times.
No I really did feel a diffrence. There is a diffrence. I have been driving on that 10 bolt for a long time then I put on the girdle. Acceleration feels tighter than before. May not make it faster but there is a diffrence.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

tell me why a diff cover of any kind would make a difference that you as a driver can feel??? use some common sense
Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wforty94
tell me why a diff cover of any kind would make a difference that you as a driver can feel??? use some common sense
Because those two torque bolts have been torqued on the new cover and pressing on those clamps inside the differental keeping it solid and not moving under acceleration. Before I am sure those clamps where moving swaing under acceleration now it does not do it anymore. I dont know the name of those pieces though.

I am telling you it makes a diffrence on street tires. Slicks and even DR are a diffrent story.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

You are preloading the caps for deflection or the carrier trying to be pushed out the back. If you had as much movement as you would need to FEEL anything you would have launched it out the back long before the cover. It just doesn't move that much. The cover will help SOME towards that happening. But then you have a 7.5" ring gear, pressed in axle tubes, c-clip style axles and in general weak guts that will be the next piece to go.

Search this Thread