Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power steering goes out when it rains??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering goes out when it rains??

So for the past month or so i have been having an issue with my 1995 trans am. I noticed this happening only when it rains pretty heavy. It only does it randomly and usually catches me off guard with no warning and only at low cornering speed like when i turn into a parking lot or something. Anyone ever experienced this? I figured maybe change the pump but it works fine 95% of the time but that 5% may end up with me hitting another car! thanks!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Launching!

That's unusual. When it happens, does the wheel get stuck or does it get real hard to turn? Do you hear any odd noises like hissing from the engine when it happens?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

It still turns but without the power. So when it happens i have to react very quickly so i don't hit something. No weird noises (that i can hear over my exhaust) no lights pop up...engine runs fine before/during/after. It also regains power after i make the turn usually, so it only happens for a couple seconds. weird i know...im confused with it too. i know the power steering system only consists of powers steering pump, hoses, reservoir, rack and pinion, umm belt? not much. i do need a rack and pinoin as my steering has some play in it, i don't know if that has something to do with it. sunny days i never have the problem??
Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

maybe the belt is getting wet and causing it to slip. You see any voltage dips?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yea i agree with spy, there is more force at low speeds from the pump, and your belt is probably slipping when you turn and then catching again. get a nice goodyear gatorback belt, dont go cheapo
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks yeah i didn't even think about the belt slipping...sat it happend when i just ran over a puddle lol so i'm going to buy a new belt and see if that helps. also i didn't ever look at the volts so i will try that too. i will post up my result soon.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

You probably are missing the plastic skirt that shields the belt drive from splash water. A new belt may not solve it completely.

Vernon
Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I would check both the belt, and tensioner. The belt may be glazed, and if it is replace it with a new one. If the tensioner is weak the belt may slip with little water sprayed onto the belt, a new belt may help but it will not solve the problem.

Hope this helps
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Default power steering goes out when raining

I was wondering if you ever resolve this, since my car is doing the same thing. I guess I will just replace the tensioner, since the belt is fairly new. But it would be nice to know if you ended up having to replace the power steering pump.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this happen once, also. It was raining, and I was turning into a parking lot, and hit a fairly deep puddle. The water splashed on to the serpentine belt, causing it to momentarily slip.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the v-ribs on the PS pulley, are they packed full of dust/dirty oil/grease, or worn down excessively?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Default Solution

Just to report back: Buying a new belt from the dealer instead of the new belt I had put on from Auto Zone fixed the slipping problem. Thanks for the tip. I tested this through several rain storm. Just an add on question: My tensioner seemed plenty strong and the bearing and all was good. But just for my education, do you test tensioners with a torque wrench to make sure they are in spec. And does the shop manual tell you that number for a 95 TA. thanks in advance. I figure others may want to know this, if someone has the answer.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the feeling of the powersteering going away, in the two or three times it has happened to me it has been a coolant leak. I suppose usually this would be easy to spot though.

Quick Reply: Power steering goes out when it rains??