Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Might have screwed up. Which way to adjust for positive caster??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Might have screwed up. Which way to adjust for positive caster??

I used the special GM tool and pulled the control arm towards the rear of the car trying to get as much positive caster as possible for a drag setup. I think I was supposed to pull the bottom forward which would tilt the top of the tire rearward giving me a more positive caster number. I am so confused. I did use an alignment machine at work and spect over 2 hours on it trying to get it right it was hot as ***** and of course everyone needed to come over and get in my way and now I think I messed up. My caster numbers are 2.4/2.4 I think I went the wrong way??
Old 08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, go the other way!
http://www.aa1car.com/library/caster_angle.gif
Old 08-01-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

The strange part is when you look at the wheel opening the wheel is back torward the firewall. So rear of center, this would make positive caster correct??
Old 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at my site for a little align info
I am lowered 1 3/4 around and still run close to stock settings, just contune all the way threw my site and I AM NOT wanting work I retired 2 years ago \ps ypu may need to download java
good luck Johnny

http://www.jgruggles.com

Old 08-01-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, I am going to take a look at it.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

I have seen those pics before but it still doesn't answer the question. My entire wheel is rear of center is this what you are looking for on a drag type setup?? They say to get the most caster you can from the pics I have seen of those cars they have the wheels rear of center. However, I see guys on this site try to get the number positive on the alignment machine which puts the tire forward of center. Most I seen say they got close to 5* on caster. Which is still in spec, yet the chassis tuners say if you are using the machine to throw the numbers it call for out the window. So I am thinking these guys getting 5* max positive caster are actually going the wrong way for a drag setup IF the idea for drag racing is to get the tire rear of center?? Or am I just missing the whole point and need to be taken out back for a beating.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone else? Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I have seen those pics before but it still doesn't answer the question. My entire wheel is rear of center is this what you are looking for on a drag type setup?? They say to get the most caster you can from the pics I have seen of those cars they have the wheels rear of center. However, I see guys on this site try to get the number positive on the alignment machine which puts the tire forward of center. Most I seen say they got close to 5* on caster. Which is still in spec, yet the chassis tuners say if you are using the machine to throw the numbers it call for out the window. So I am thinking these guys getting 5* max positive caster are actually going the wrong way for a drag setup IF the idea for drag racing is to get the tire rear of center?? Or am I just missing the whole point and need to be taken out back for a beating.
This is the same thing I was thinking. Usually one side will go back further than the other so you can only go back as far as you can equally so that you go as straight as possible.

Quick Reply: Might have screwed up. Which way to adjust for positive caster??