Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter?

Ok I looked around through search and auto tranny forums and didn't really see any threads answering my questions so I will post...

I am looking to install a neutral lockout shifter (donno the exact term, maybe ratchet shifter?) but am having trouble finding any for an a4.... anyone know where I can get one? also what modifications would I need to do to install it. I know I am loosing some time with just the shifter and leaving it in drive this is why i'm looking for the change.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:14 PM
STG
Staging Lane

I looked into this recently as well. The truth is, the prospects are pretty bleak. I don't think a ratchet shifter is made for four-speed transmissions, though most can apparently be modified to work. The installation also won't be bolt-in in most cases.

That being said, the shifter won't really give you any advantage in a car with a stock trans. Without a manual valve body, ratcheting the new shifter will accomplish exactly the same thing as moving between the 1, 2, and D points on the stock unit. It is generally assumed that manually shifting a stock transmission in that fashion is slower than letting the ECU determine when to shift.

So, you probably won't gain any performance from a ratchet shifter, but the coolness factor is not to be ignored.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

i've seen on old school like 67' camaros and stuff having like 3 ****** shifters and ones they hit to shift.... any word on if they'd work in a 01' f-body?