Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula exhaust question

Currently, my car has a flowmaster on it, but everything else is stock. I don't intend on getting headers, but i do want the car to sound good and loud. So, what is the best power setup until i get headers later? (I might not ever get headers) So, i just want the best idea possible...

How about removing all the cats and running a 3inch in place of what it has now. So, basically it would be a 3inch Y-pipe going into a flowmaster. Or, should i run a 3inch Y-pipe dumped down? Maybe a 3inch Y-pipe just straight out the back on one side, or split into two?

I notice their is a cat tucked really close by the driver side door close to the header. My idea is to replace that with a 3inch pipe. If i do this, will i have problems?

Is it worth it to upgrade the pipe size without installing headers?

Please, give me some ideas for my exhaust setup with the stock headers. Thanks again.

Car is a 99 firebird formula LS1.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

get a cut out
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Cheapest easiest way would be to keep it as is but swap the flowmaster for a loudmouth one. Not real loud at idle or just dricing yet screams at WOT. If you'd like to lose the cats just bring it to an exhuast shop that will do it. Tell them to keep the cats it will save you money. As far as pipe size I know it isn't 3" so that would kind of be out of the question. My friend had stock manifolds with no cats and a Moroso Spiral Flow clamped on the end and it sounded great, plus it's light wieght. Also Formulas can pull off the no tips look becuase they really don't have a big cut out in the bumper for the tips. For example I love my car without tips and I'm sure it will look even better lowered on !8"s
Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So if i keep the stock manifolds, remove the cats, increase the Y-pipe to 3inches and have it dump down at the rear tires, how loud will it be? Should i have it dump down through a muffler, or will the single pipe off the Y-pipe be good enough?

I like the look of having no pipes out the back. I admit it looks clean.