Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fuel pressure issues with forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issues with forced induction

I have a 2000 Trans Am with a vortech supercharger putting out 6 lbs of boost. I just bought the car and was told it needed a new fuel pump so because the fuel pressure dropped from about 54 at idle to 45 under WOT. I bought a racetronix pump with a hotwire kit and now I am still getting the same problem. The car runs very strong and pulls hard...no hesitation or sputtering is going on. I was told I do not need a boost reference regulator due to the fact that I am not putting out that much boost. I am going to replace the fuel filter this week but I do not think that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. I have also posted this under the fueling and injection section but thought maybe someone with forced induction would know a little bit more about my situation.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of fuel pressure regulator you have ?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Teching In

I had this similar problem on my 01,Install two pumps and have the primary come on with the switch as normal.The second Ive got power to it via a hobbs switch.Go to the twin walboro install and it will solve your problems.I tried all the same things, drop the tank about 4 times and finally did this install.Its nothing to it just take your time.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Its just a stock regulator.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to drop....but if your AFR is fine don't worry about the drop

Or you can add a boost referenced regulator and a second pump
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Just keep in mind if you add a boost referenced regulator you are going to have to change your IFR and offset table and probably quite a bit of your VE table.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
Its going to drop....but if your AFR is fine don't worry about the drop

A stock setup should not drop to 45 psi. Maybe 2-3 psi. If you're dropping 15 psi then you have a problem with a restriction in the line, the stock regulator is bad or there is a problem with the hot wire. Not sure that even if those 42# inj were going static that they could pull the fuel pressure that low (when everything is working right). What power level are you at?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller

A stock setup should not drop to 45 psi. Maybe 2-3 psi. If you're dropping 15 psi then you have a problem with a restriction in the line, the stock regulator is bad or there is a problem with the hot wire. Not sure that even if those 42# inj were going static that they could pull the fuel pressure that low (when everything is working right). What power level are you at?
You have the normal drop and then the added pressure of the boost. Wouldn't that make it drop even more? I'm not sure if it would, I never ran a boosted setup without the referenced regulator. My setup rises 1:1 ie pressure goes up 1psi for every 1psi of boost.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
You have the normal drop and then the added pressure of the boost. Wouldn't that make it drop even more? I'm not sure if it would, I never ran a boosted setup without the referenced regulator. My setup rises 1:1 ie pressure goes up 1psi for every 1psi of boost.
Boost has nothing to do with fuel pressure when you run a stock fuel system with the regulator in the tank.

The injectors can only deliver the volume that they can deliver. 42# injectors at 100% duty cycle shouldn't be able to pull the pressure down that hard.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fp dropped around 10psi when I was on stock motor, 10lbs of boost, 1 walbro pump, stock regulator, and 42lb injectors......afr was perfect every time so I left it like that until I wanted more boost
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
My fp dropped around 10psi when I was on stock motor, 10lbs of boost, 1 walbro pump, stock regulator, and 42lb injectors......afr was perfect every time so I left it like that until I wanted more boost
What was your inj duty cycle doing?

Come to think of it, not too long ago, I had a buddy with the same problem and we switched the pump and it didn't fix anything. Turns out it was his alternator. It was only putting out like 12.2v. Might want to look into that.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Boost has nothing to do with fuel pressure when you run a stock fuel system with the regulator in the tank.

The injectors can only deliver the volume that they can deliver. 42# injectors at 100% duty cycle shouldn't be able to pull the pressure down that hard.
I don't see how it wouldn't. There is positive pressure underneath the injectors reducing fuel pressure in that amount of the boost. I was under the impression that it was the purpose of having a boost ref reg after the rails, to get rid of the drop and have a steady fuel pressure, and in boosted applications compensate for the positive pressure created
Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I don't see how it wouldn't. There is positive pressure underneath the injectors reducing fuel pressure in that amount of the boost. I was under the impression that it was the purpose of having a boost ref reg after the rails, to get rid of the drop and have a steady fuel pressure, and in boosted applications compensate for the positive pressure created
It changes the useful fuel pressure but it will read the same

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure issues with forced induction