Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noisy trans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Noisy trans...

ok well about 3 weeks ago I put a 9in in my car...ever since then the trans has been acting up. The car still shifts fine and i even took it down the 1/4 for about 10 passes since then. The issue is with the clutch in and in any gear I can hear a metal on ceramic type sound and it's almost like the clutch isn't disengaging. I have an adjustable master cylinder and if I adj. the pedal to flow more fluid the issue seems to be not as bad. It almost seems to me like the brand new 01-02 slave cylinder took a ****. btw- Clutch setup- Tick master cylinder, Monster stage 3 clutch, and a 01-02 slave.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
ok well about 3 weeks ago I put a 9in in my car...ever since then the trans has been acting up. The car still shifts fine and i even took it down the 1/4 for about 10 passes since then. The issue is with the clutch in and in any gear I can hear a metal on ceramic type sound and it's almost like the clutch isn't disengaging. I have an adjustable master cylinder and if I adj. the pedal to flow more fluid the issue seems to be not as bad. It almost seems to me like the brand new 01-02 slave cylinder took a ****. btw- Clutch setup- Tick master cylinder, Monster stage 3 clutch, and a 01-02 slave.

Sounds like normal chatter....did you break it in properly? You say you installed it 3 weeks ago, and made it down the track already.

Did this noise just pop up, or has it been there, or???

If just started acting up, and you did the proper break in, being a Level 3, do this....go beat on it some. Might have glazed over and needs some punishment.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have the 9 inch but do have the similar sounds. I have the chromoly flywheel though. When stuck in traffic more than 5 minutes the clutch growls loudly and doesn't want to pull forward almost like the clutch discs are skimming the plate. When I shift gears I get an internal pop or like the clutch hasn't disengaged when I push the pedal to shift gears. Clutch still works properly though.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
Sounds like normal chatter....did you break it in properly? You say you installed it 3 weeks ago, and made it down the track already.

Did this noise just pop up, or has it been there, or???

If just started acting up, and you did the proper break in, being a Level 3, do this....go beat on it some. Might have glazed over and needs some punishment.
Clutch was put in in the beginning of June. The rear was put in 3 weeks ago. As soon as the car was put on the ground from the rear install it started acting up. I just took the driveshaft out of the car and ran through the gears and there was no noise...put the driveshaft back in..noise is back. The clutch was broken in properly and made no noise before I put the 9in it, it popped up at the end of the 9in install.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the car lowered? Did you center the rear?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
Is the car lowered? Did you center the rear?
car is on stock height....I have a non adjustable panhard bar so the rear is where it is...didn't think that would cause a problem...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
Clutch was put in in the beginning of June. The rear was put in 3 weeks ago. As soon as the car was put on the ground from the rear install it started acting up. I just took the driveshaft out of the car and ran through the gears and there was no noise...put the driveshaft back in..noise is back. The clutch was broken in properly and made no noise before I put the 9in it, it popped up at the end of the 9in install.

OK, so noise started AFTER the 9" was installed, OK....

Another question, does it happen sitting still? Or moving? Or both?

If sitting still, we can rule out driveshaft, rear end, wheel bearings, etc...and it was just a coincidence noise started after 9" install.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
OK, so noise started AFTER the 9" was installed, OK....

Another question, does it happen sitting still? Or moving? Or both?

If sitting still, we can rule out driveshaft, rear end, wheel bearings, etc...and it was just a coincidence noise started after 9" install.
It happens during both sitting and moving. after talking to some people tonight at the track, I'm going to buy an adj. panhard bar and see if that helps becuase the rear is about 1 inch off center between the two sides.

Quick Reply: Noisy trans...