Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car sucks after tunning

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car sucks after tunning

i dyno tuned with ed wright in tulsa i have a 224/224,.581,112, on a cold start it takes the car quite some time to find the idle. on a hot start its really bad. it will die unless i give it some throttle. and takes several seconds to stay on its own. and when coming to a light, the rpms dip way down and almost dies then catches idle after 10 seconds or so. is this something i have to live with or is it a bad tune? any comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

here are your options: 1-call ED 2-see #1

he locks his PCM's so you have no choice but to contact him.

what does it do anyway? is it hunting idle? rough? won't idle? when did you get it done?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texas Terminator
here are your options: 1-call ED 2-see #1

he locks his PCM's so you have no choice but to contact him.

what does it do anyway? is it hunting idle? rough? won't idle? when did you get it done?
it usually dies after a hot start and imo it just takes too long to settle down and idle after it does decide to idle . sometimes at a light it dips to 4-500 and almost dies then idles ok. cold start is a pita too takes quite some time to find the 900 rpms and stay there
Old 11-20-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got my pcm programmed by him on three seperate occasions and each time i got the exact same problems and each time he claimed that it was my fault and or the vehicles but never his tuning. I took it to the dealership and low and behold it was his tuning. So i bought the ls1-edit and i would recommend that and just try to find a local tuner to help you which is what i am doing and i am sure if you can't find a local tuner i am sure someone on the boards can help you out. Best of luck
Old 11-20-2003, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Willraceyou
it usually dies after a hot start and imo it just takes too long to settle down and idle after it does decide to idle . sometimes at a light it dips to 4-500 and almost dies then idles ok. cold start is a pita too takes quite some time to find the 900 rpms and stay there
how long have you been driving it? mine has to settle in after driving several miles and it will idle fine, don't know why it does that, it just does. it sounds like your throttle follower setting are screwed up. did he mess with the base timing tables or do you know?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS Escalado
i got my pcm programmed by him on three seperate occasions and each time i got the exact same problems and each time he claimed that it was my fault and or the vehicles but never his tuning. I took it to the dealership and low and behold it was his tuning. So i bought the ls1-edit and i would recommend that and just try to find a local tuner to help you which is what i am doing and i am sure if you can't find a local tuner i am sure someone on the boards can help you out. Best of luck
was it not locked or did the dealership just re-flash it?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds exactly like what mine does but I have no tuning.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am similar with a predator custom tune. If someone has the answer to this I would like to know also. No idle probs until I put in the 224 cam. Now cold it is almost always fine but at partial warm up and warm restart it hunts around almost dying. Seems to only do this for a short period after start up and then is OK until a restart. I would also like to note that I am not willing to remove the cam to make the idle better again
Old 11-20-2003, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem..Getting a 224 on 112 Cam to idle is very easy to do with Edit,but I guess Ed wright just doesn't know what to do.
I would contact him and see what he recommends first.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Ed did my tune too, my car idles the same, dies when hot or coming to a stop, idles high when cold, tons of KR,timing looks way too high for a FI car, going lean part throttle, way rich when at idle, and good up top. I don't know what is happening over there at ed's shop, I've never had a problem with his tuning before but both my car and my buddies 396 LT1 that Ed mail order tuned at the same time both run like ***. Ed won't answer my emails, I called him and he said to atap a couple logs for him and send those in an email, still no response. I will be calling him again tomorrow to see what the hell is going on. Too bad he couldn't even get it right with the car right there infront of him. Do you know if he did the tuning or if john did it.
Good luck,
J
Old 11-21-2003, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

the first two times that i got the pcm programed i actually went to Ed's shop in tulsa and he messed it up both times when i was there and had to re-do it at least twice on both occasions. The third time I did it mail order and he still messed it up and blamed me and the vehicle. The dealership did just re-flash but they found out that the problem was witht the tuning and the fact the fuel was being cut off after startup. As to why i do not know but I knew that this was the problem because that is what happend the first two times the he programmed it. When i was there he actually did it becuase i was speaking with john for most of the time. Well i hope everybody gets their problems situated.