Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear shock absorber review: KYB AGXs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear shock absorber review: KYB AGXs

It all started when my father was following me down the road and said my Trans Am's rear was bouncing all over the road. He used to build racecars and race himself so I always do whatever he tells me lol.
He told me I desperately needed new shocks. I got the AGXs and WOW; what a difference. The car feels much smoother from the rear instead of what an F350 feels like. I also tried accelerating from a dig and it's nice to feel the car squat instead of the rear raising right off the road as on ice. Now, when I hit the throttle hard, the tires squeal because I get more bite. They never squealed or chirped before. With new shocks while launching from a dig, the road feels similar to what a well-prepped dragstrip felt like the last time I went (lots of bite so I had to slip the clutch a little higher). I can't wait to feel what a well-prepped dragstrip feels like NOW!
The stock DeCarbons were pretty stiff after 86K miles and the AGXs were set to "6" during my test drives. While I was under there, I also installed a UMI T/A w/ a poly bushing, new rubber trans mount and poly rear swaybar end links. I installed them after the test drive so I can specifically review the new shocks. I honestly don't feel a difference with the new T/A but compared to the old oil-drenched spongy T/A bushing, I know it has to be doing something... My next mod will most likely be LCA relocation brackets.
I hope this review helps anyone who's on the fence about buying rear shocks.

Quick Reply: Rear shock absorber review: KYB AGXs