C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch thread

Ok guys,
let me hear from the drag racers...what the hell are you running in your vettes ?? I am on my forth clutch in 4 years. This one lasted only ten runs...not a mis-type...(10 runs) and maybe 1000 street miles, and it is worn slap out ! Pulled it out today because after run # 7, it wouldn't high rpm shift. It was like hitting a brick wall in the 1-2 shift. I have never missed that gear in my life !

Pitt
Old 08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

they all stock clutches?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Textralia EXOSKEL is the ****. so far.

I have gone through:

spec 3, spec5, ram vds. The EXOSKEL,...is so far the best clutch I have ever came across in any car. Thats why I have two.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

I have gone through:

spec 3, spec5, ram vds. The EXOSKEL,...is so far the best clutch I have ever came across in any car. Thats why I have two.
Thx. Not stock clutch's. 2 RPS 5's and a McLeod Twin.

I will check it out.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

I have gone through:

What he said.NEVER let me down,not one time ! No slipping,even on a two day event with near back to back runs.It is a little firm but my wife still street drives the car.Buddy runs a Mcleod twin,same story,no problems with it either.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. Gotta make up my mind tonight !

Pitt
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pittman
Thanks guys. Gotta make up my mind tonight !

Pitt

Happy hunting. I have also heard good things about the Mcleod twin but no personal experience.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a twin disk !!!!!!!!!!! mcleod, fidanza. etc !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

listening.

is anyone else besides doug running an exedy twin?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Spec Twin here. Really like the engagement and holds like hell so far. Haven't made it to the track yet tho.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like Jon said, I have an exedy twin and its been in there since 2006. No track experience yet with the new motor but stay tuned. Plenty of street miles on her with the new motor and no complaints. 6600 rpm shifts from a dig all the way to 200 mph, and no issues. Haven't had time to go buy a helmet yet. Thank God for blessing me with the oppurtunity to work Overtime. Especially when so many people are out of work and desperately looking for jobs. (Insert Prayer here) Amen. I need the money too, gotta get out from under this house note. 102K to go and I am financially free !! Can you say whats my next project ?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doug, how many miles does your have anyway? Im looking at an exedy twin with 5,000 miles on it right now.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

The exedy,.....people say it won't handle hard launches with a sticky tire,...which is why people don't use it for LAUNCHING.

Doug has yet to put a real hurting on the drivetrain, as the track, with STICKY tires, is where it's gonna shine. On the street, with Z rated tires,...the clutch is having "soft impacts" since the shock is abosorbed in wheel spin.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Happy hunting. I have also heard good things about the Mcleod twin but no personal experience.
Well...thanks for all the replies ! I decided to go with another McLeod Street Twin...now I will have a spare ready and waiting ! It launched some 1.4 sixtys so we will see if it lasts. Clutch will be here Friday !

Pitt
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Launching!

I used ram on my 383ci and it held up pretty good, for my new setup 415ci i had a custom clutch disk made from a local clutch shop, just a 6 puck should hold 850-875hp. Looks pretty similar to a Monster Clutch haha
here is a pic

Good luck with the new clutch
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Let me know how it does at the track !
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spectre86
Doug, how many miles does your have anyway? Im looking at an exedy twin with 5,000 miles on it right now.
John: 20000+ maybe closer to 27K Little chatter as expected, but grabs and holds. But as Jamie explained with his normal eloquence I haven't launched hard at the track with a sticky tire and this motor. I forsee 19 psi in the DR's and coming out of the hole at 4 grand though. We'll see.

The exedy,.....people say it won't handle hard launches with a sticky tire,...which is why people don't use it for LAUNCHING.

Doug has yet to put a real hurting on the drivetrain, as the track, with STICKY tires, is where it's gonna shine. On the street, with Z rated tires,...the clutch is having "soft impacts" since the shock is abosorbed in wheel spin.
You have such a way with words. To reiterate why I bought the clutch was overkill in my h/c 346 and for street use, with a couple trips a year to the track. From what I've read and been told the exo skel seems nice. Ask Ron (Vengeance) about the RPS twin too. I think therers a street and light version.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
John: 20000+ maybe closer to 27K Little chatter as expected, but grabs and holds. But as Jamie explained with his normal eloquence I haven't launched hard at the track with a sticky tire and this motor. I forsee 19 psi in the DR's and coming out of the hole at 4 grand though. We'll see.

You have such a way with words. To reiterate why I bought the clutch was overkill in my h/c 346 and for street use, with a couple trips a year to the track. From what I've read and been told the exo skel seems nice. Ask Ron (Vengeance) about the RPS twin too. I think therers a street and light version.
Doug, arent you about ready for the track or is it still too hot there ? You need some 42 - 60 degree weather

Pitt
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told to ask you your opinion on a spec clutch?

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
thats fine with me though. I dont plan on going to the track but maybe once a year if that.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pittman
Well...thanks for all the replies ! I decided to go with another McLeod Street Twin...now I will have a spare ready and waiting ! It launched some 1.4 sixtys so we will see if it lasts. Clutch will be here Friday !

Pitt

Awesome man. Glad to hear it. Since textralia is out of buisness, just found out,..taht'll be the next clutch we get for my cousins Z06 once it goes through it;s ram,...which may also be a good clutch but, we have no testing with it yet. We'll see if it takes a 300 shot.

Again, glad to help someway... post up when you get it installed

Quick Reply: Clutch thread