Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having problems with my t-56

Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems with my t-56

I started having problems recently where the shifter will sometimes not want to go out of 4th, and one time when I forced it out, it seemed like it got stuck in some gear to where any time I move it just a little, I hear grinding. Clutch is in the whole time I am doing this. So I shut the car off, and started moving the shifter around as much as I could hoping to break it free (it was only going forward and backward). Finally it was free, now it doesn't shift as smooth, but I get to all the gears.

This all started right after I thought the tranny mount was loose because it felt like the tranny was moving under the car, I got under it, and tried to tighten every bolt I could and none of them were loose . so I just thought maybe it was normal and I just never noticed it.

It's a 96 t/a t-56 with a pro 5.0 shifter.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Teching In

i had the same thing go wrong with my t56....i had to replace the syncro...when i took it apart the 3 keys that go in ur syncro where layin in the bottom of the trany..lol...but it happend once and did wat u said but like a week later it happend again and there was no getting it out of fourth...so its good now...but it was my first time ever doin a trany....wasnt to bad...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Its very common to break the 3-4 shift keys.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

hey Lammy, I would say you have a key issue (kind of repeating what has been said already), which is not uncommon at all. You might have a synchro issue as well, but normally a stuck shifter is key/fork issue. Once someone is inside the tranny, you might want to go ahead and have her freshened up, especially if there are alot of miles/abuse on it.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

had the same problem the other day and now i got a 900.00 bill from the tranny shop. broke the 3-4 shift fork and the shifter rod.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm just gonna keep driving it and see what happens. I was hoping it would hold up til winter when I plan on pulling it out and having it built. I'll update this thread when I find out more (i.e. it breaks).
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lammy

I'm just gonna keep driving it and see what happens. I was hoping it would hold up til winter when I plan on pulling it out and having it built. I'll update this thread when I find out more (i.e. it breaks).

Well, just keep in mind that by continuing to drive it, you can do MORE damage, and $$$$ to fix, will get higher. Just a side note....GL
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lammy

Three words of advice since you have decided to chance it.

1) Drive it easy

2) Skip 4th gear when you drive. Try 3rd to 5th.

3) Expect it to break and when it does, 4th will be stuck and you cannot un-stuck it. Prepare for the trans rebuild.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I've got a very similar problem with it sticking in 2nd and 3rd with occasional grinding in 4th -- ill let you know what i come up with in the next few days...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having problems with my t-56