Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Shifter problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 Shifter problems...

Ok i will do my best to explain what is going on with the shifter. It is very loose and has alot of play in it. It will be lighting up as if its in neutral when its in OD gear. Its the same way with all the other gears. Also when i am in first gear and go to shift into second i must go past second gear and then pull it back before it will go into gear and also in every other gear. If you watch the light on the side it looks like i go all the way up into D but its not actually going into drive gear. This has been going on for probably a week and when i got home tonight my car will not go into park. It goes all the way up and seems to be in park but rolls forward. I dunno if something is loose or broken. Any help would be appriciated! Its a pain and i want to get it fixed so i can park my car without any worries. Thanks!

Derek
Old 08-03-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

i had this problem awhile back too. i took my car to a local transmission shop and they found a bracket loose on my tranny. they only charged me $25.00 to just to tighten up.....lol.... i thought for sure my transmission was jacked too and they could have easily taken alot more money out of my pocket. Lucky they are a honest shop. if shifter cable bracket loose ,i'm sure that can cause your problem. hope this helps.

Last edited by Mac 2002 SS; 08-04-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Go under the car and look for a Bracket bolted onto the bottm of the Tranny, check the Linkage make sure one of the Tabs on it didnt break where it holds it into the Bracket.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have this exact same problem so I'm subscribing to this thread to listen in . Don't be afraid to take some pics while your in there either.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Go under the car and look for a Bracket bolted onto the bottm of the Tranny, check the Linkage make sure one of the Tabs on it didnt break where it holds it into the Bracket.
I agree, the shifting cable is very simple in design. A problem with it under the car should be obvious when looking at it.