Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with plate holding MC

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with plate holding MC

how do I move that plate that bolts to the MC out of the way to get to the star washer?????

see how this one is out of the way>>>>>
Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

anyone???
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

The u bolt how do I remove it?????
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to just man-handle the plate around the front of the bolt. If I was you I'd pull it forward and take some side-cutters and snip that bitch out. It's not really a star washer it's a retainer clip for the u-bolt once it's off you can reach down the firewall and wiggle and give it hell. Also trying to push out the threads of it from the cabin can help a little.

It sucks I won't lie but you'll get it out.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

I can barely move the U bolt to get to the washer, and Im not gonna take out the pedal assembly. I pulled it back but I only get about 1/4 inch of space. the bolts are long as hell and I cant move it up or down let alone side by side.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I hate them damn Washers. Take a Hammer and an Extention and smack the U-bolt out.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
I can barely move the U bolt to get to the washer, and Im not gonna take out the pedal assembly. I pulled it back but I only get about 1/4 inch of space. the bolts are long as hell and I cant move it up or down let alone side by side.
You can't move it because that "washer" is really a retainer the write-up miss-named the thing. It is holding onto the threads on the U bolt. In your picture you need to get ahold of the silver piece infront of it and really pull on it. I won't break that easy and your not going to have to take out the pedal assembly. Once you get enough room, get a screw driver behind the "star washer" and get some cutters on it. Once you get that cut off the U bolt is free and you can start pulling it through the firewall.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so I guess I'm gonna have to put some elbow grease and pull like hell to get it out of the way to get that bolt out then.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Exactly. Don't be a *****.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

FINALLLLLYYYYYY..............Its a PITA.........well I did it and here's how. I took a hammer and used the back end to pry the plate away from the washer it gave me about a half inch maybe less, I took a butter knife(a little lazy to get a flathead) and pryed the washer a little to get some needle nose pliers in there, and then I kinked it and started twisting until on end broke then I ripped it off. after that I hammered the U bolt out, and it was free. had a little trouble pulling it out from the engine bay because I can bend my hand like orgami to reach it but I did. got my arm stuck a few times........... now whats the best way to get the new one in???? from the top or the bottom?????
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Top seems to be the only way, and I hear you about the arm contorting it sucked *****. Call me crazy but putting it in was easier then taking it out. Feed the u-bolt in the master first and just get the u-bolt thread closest to the engine in the hole first and barely put the nut on the end (enough to hold it in) and then you have an arch to move in and you'll pop the other side in after some cussing.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
Top seems to be the only way, and I hear you about the arm contorting it sucked *****. Call me crazy but putting it in was easier then taking it out. Feed the u-bolt in the master first and just get the u-bolt thread closest to the engine in the hole first and barely put the nut on the end (enough to hold it in) and then you have an arch to move in and you'll pop the other side in after some cussing.
I wont be putting the U bolt back its gone. Im replacing it with a Tick Adj. M/C