Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 T56 clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default LT1 T56 clutch problems

This is the 3rd of 3 problems Im having with my car, other 2 are in LT1 section.

About a year and a half ago my car started grinding the gears when I would try to put it in reverse. I would have to put it in 1st, then try again, grind, then pull hard, then it would go in, then it would pop out and grind, and eventually Id get it. I thought it was my clutch, so I put in a new stock GM replacement clutch. When I was pulling out my engine and tranny from the top I forgot to take off the slave cylinder and pulled the line tight before I noticed it. With the engine and tranny hanging from the hoist at about a 30 degree angle I disconnected the 2 bolts for the slave cylinder over a 5 gallon bucket because I thought fluid would come out and pulled off the slave. Then I heard "ping ping ping ping" hit the inside of the bucket and all these tiny little metal *****, looked like from a ball bearing, were in the bucket. They were probably about 1/8 an inch diameter and there were a bunch of them, some fell on the garage floor and got lost but there were at least 20. I didnt have enough money to buy a new slave so I took the gamble and put the old one back in and it engaged the clutch fine and I drove it like that for the past 7k miles but I still had the grinding in reverse problem.
Over the winter I was beating the **** out of the car and banging gears and when I went to stop I had the clutch in and it was still pulling forward so the clutch was not completley disengaged. It was also hard to shift with it not disengaged. Figured it was the slave acting up. My roomate was bored one day when I was out of town and decided to swap in the new slave for me. The clutch still wouldnt disengage with the new slave so I told him to put the old one back in. He did, then went on a joyride around the block with his girlfriend in the car, and decided to scare her and mashed the throttle and forced it through some gears, then slid it in neutral and coasted into the parkingspace thinking it was still broken. A month passes and I go to replace the clutch master cylinder but decided to start hte car first and see how it feels and like magic it was fixed and the clutch disengaged completely. NO IDEA HOW.
6 months later the car sits in my parents yard in CT for 2 1/2 months in the mud with my brother taking it around the block every few weeks. I was coming home sunday to get the car and told my brother to take it out saturday and drive it a while to blow the cobwebs out of it. He does, and says the clutch is being gay but doesnt elaborate. Sunday my friend Joe gets behind the wheel to follow me in the camaro down to my new place in VA. We get to a gas station 10 minutes into the ride, he goes to put it in reverse to back it to the pump and I hear "GRIND GRIND RRRRR KSSSSHHH GRIND", but eventually he gets it and backs up. In traffic later he calls me and says if he holds the clutch in for more than 30 seconds the pressure bleeds off and he has no clutch the next time he pushes it in.

Please tell me what is going on here, I am confused as hell and am hoping its 1 problem and not a bunch.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A guess would be that you may have a bent lip on your throwout bearing, that sometimes doesn't fully disengage. The other issue definitely sounds like your Master is leaking past the seals. Replace the master first, and if you still have intermittent problems, look at the TOB..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
A guess would be that you may have a bent lip on your throwout bearing, that sometimes doesn't fully disengage. The other issue definitely sounds like your Master is leaking past the seals. Replace the master first, and if you still have intermittent problems, look at the TOB..
I replaced the throwout bearing when I replaced the clutch and nothing changed. Master is something Ive also been suspecting.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Took it to the track today, nothing but problems iwth the clutch. Kept losing pressure in the petal when Id have to wait in line or someone was tkaing their time staging, causing it to not have pressure on the disk going down the track and slip like a mother f&cker. Is that slave or master? The clutch only has 7k on it with all very easy highway miles. Car has 137k.

Quick Reply: LT1 T56 clutch problems