Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into nitrous. Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Looking into nitrous. Help me out!

I’m considering stepping into the world of nitrous. Please take into consideration that I am very naive with this subject. I have a few questions regarding my current setup, and a potential nitrous setup.

Goals for nitrous: run a small (75-100) shot of nitrous on the car. It would not be used often, it would be more a “just in case”.

1) Is nitrous a good idea on my current setup? Is this a good, or bad combination to put nitrous onto.
(~450rwhp, 346ci LS1, 11.5:1 compression, Trick Flow 215cc heads, Vindicator Camshaft, FAST 92/92)

2) Would wet, or dry be the best route?
*Note: I do not want to go direct port. Please don’t discuss it*

3) What components would I need to make this nitrous kit safe and reliable? I do not want to go half-assed.

4) Roughly how much nitrous would be used in a ¼ mile race spraying ~100 shot?

5) Is this a good idea to do on 94 octane?

6) How extensive is a nitrous tune?

7) Would I be able to switch between a nitrous tune and a N/A tune? This would be optimal, since the car would be N/A 98% of the time.

8) Are there such things as quick-disconnect fittings for nitrous bottles to the main feed line? If so, how long does it take to disconnect?

Last edited by Spd-Kilz; 08-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know everything about n2o and you should probably call a vendor ie HSW or n2o outler but here is what i can help you with

1) Is nitrous a good idea on my current setup? Is this a good, or bad combination to put nitrous onto.
(~450rwhp, 346ci LS1, 11.5:1 compression, Trick Flow 215cc heads, Vindicator Camshaft, FAST 92/92)

Should be ok with a good tune

This is probably the most argued point in the nitrous forum, so do a search and read the arguments and see what side you agree with more. Plate kits are pretty hot now and are simple and straight forward.

3) What components would I need to make this nitrous kit safe and reliable? I do not want to go half-assed.

The good kits come with some good safety stuff, but a window switch, a fuel pressure switch, and a WOT switch are some you should look into

I think you could do about 4 100 shots on a 10lb bottle before you start to lose some pressure, you could get a nano kit and get some more from it though.

I started a thread about what size shot on 93 and the answers i got where "its all in the tune." To run nitrous on pump gas you're going to have to pull more timing than you do when you run nitrous on race gas. How much is between what you and your tuner feel is safe. but in my thread ATVRACER said he ran 250 on pump gas so I guess almost anything is possible. A standalone fuel system with race fuel in it could be used on a wet system so you could use more timing or for a little more saftey.

I dont know

7) Would I be able to switch between a nitrous tune and a N/A tune? This would be optimal, since the car would be N/A 98% of the time.

With some electronics you can pull timing and add fuel only when the kit is activated, pretty much giving you a nitrous tune and a N/A tune.

8) Are there such things as quick-disconnect fittings for nitrous bottles to the main feed line? If so, how long does it take to disconnect?

I dont know, but i'm pretty sure just closing the bottle valve and using a wrench to disconnect the line cant take more than 5 minutes since you'll have to do this to get the bottle filled too.

To the guys out there with more expierence (dave, atvracer, Robert56, et al) please add or correct anything you feel you need to.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great that your asking questions. the best bet is to start reading old threads as this prob the best way to build a knowledge base to make your own informed choice on what suits you best.
Robert
Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I’m considering stepping into the world of nitrous. Please take into consideration that I am very naive with this subject. I have a few questions regarding my current setup, and a potential nitrous setup.

Goals for nitrous: run a small (75-100) shot of nitrous on the car. It would not be used often, it would be more a “just in case”.

I run a similar combo on the motor and a 100 shot will work fine. There really is no arguement as to what is better, they are just different. Determining wet or dry is really just based on your setup, neither one is better than the other. Im sure you have an upgraded fuel pump already, if not you are most certainly going to need one. Injectors will most likely determine whether you go wet or dry. If you have 42lb/hr injectors you can run a 100 dry shot. If its lower you might need to upgrade them or just stay with a wet kit.

Yes with an external device like out interface controller you can run a separate nitrous tune that only works while the kit is engaged. It'll pull timing and add fuel on a dry shot only while the kit is activated. If you have stuff like that, then you don't need a nitrous tune, you just dial in your A/F. I would also recommend our microedge controller, bottle heater, purge, nitrous filter, plugs, etc. Our wet plates are very popular in the current market. I'm not going to fill you with unsubstantiated claims like others you will see on here and say its the BEST of anything. I am sure it would beat any plate out there, but no one has tested them against each other. You would be just as well off with a single nozzle though. The plates really install cleaner and perform better when you get up to around 150.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input so far guys!

I'm still running a stock pump (which will have to be replaced), and I have brand new 38# injectors. Sounds like a wet hit might be the right choice if I don't want new injectors.

I do like the sound of being able to have two different tunes. I feel that is extremely important.

The "make it, or break it" question really comes down to the bottle disconnect. In my Province, you can have a nitrous system, but if it's hooked up you are subject to a $10,000 fine, vehicle impoundment, and drivers license suspension. If I plan on running around with a hooked up nitrous bottle, it is imperative that I can quickly (between the time I get pulled over and the police officer is at my window) disconnect my bottle from the main feed line.

Before I really start to look into it, I would really like to know if that is possible.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

if thats the big issue put the bottle in the spare tire compartment so if you get pulled the cops wont even know that your running juice. Putting the bottle on the hump or in the rear window is like an advertisment for the cops to check you out in my opinion. I know some people say the cops ask them to pop the hood, but i've never seen that. Plus if the cop doesn't see the bottle chances are they wont even ask. if they do ask where you are you could do a more stealth kit and take the stickers off the niods, and put wire loom on the lines. Most non car guys wont know what they're looking at and even some car guys will look right past it, but you wont fool to many nitrous guys.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Thanks for all the input so far guys!

I'm still running a stock pump (which will have to be replaced), and I have brand new 38# injectors. Sounds like a wet hit might be the right choice if I don't want new injectors.

I do like the sound of being able to have two different tunes. I feel that is extremely important.

The "make it, or break it" question really comes down to the bottle disconnect. In my Province, you can have a nitrous system, but if it's hooked up you are subject to a $10,000 fine, vehicle impoundment, and drivers license suspension. If I plan on running around with a hooked up nitrous bottle, it is imperative that I can quickly (between the time I get pulled over and the police officer is at my window) disconnect my bottle from the main feed line.

Before I really start to look into it, I would really like to know if that is possible.
With 38lb injectors you certainly are ready then for a dry kit. the HSW dry plate kit, Sudden Impact, comes with everything you need for your two tunes in one. I think the dry plate kit is the bomb for a trust worthy street/strip set-up. So you can now self tune your own car, but I always suggest varifing the a/f ratio. Then if you want richer/leaner you just flip some dip sws in the Interface, same for timing pull. those that say wet is easier to tune do not realize the sudden Impact kits. By the way, hide your bottle and use a remote opener.
Robert