Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 step and transbrake on a N/A application?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2 step and transbrake on a N/A application?

any benifit to this kind of application? i got the OK from performabuilt to install a transbrake and 2step on my 4l60e and now im getting cold feet.

will it help my 60' any or is it more of a reaction time based mod? this is my first time messing with a transbrake or 2 step so i dont know the pros and cons. im getting into index racing using the footbrake on the pro tree is killing me. i figure a 2 step would help keep me from blowing the tires off, and make it a little easier on the drivetrain.

am i heading in the right direction?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noob question... what exactly is a 2-step? can i 2-step be used with a transbrake?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
any benifit to this kind of application? i got the OK from performabuilt to install a transbrake and 2step on my 4l60e and now im getting cold feet.

will it help my 60' any or is it more of a reaction time based mod? this is my first time messing with a transbrake or 2 step so i dont know the pros and cons. im getting into index racing using the footbrake on the pro tree is killing me. i figure a 2 step would help keep me from blowing the tires off, and make it a little easier on the drivetrain.

am i heading in the right direction?
2 step is definately for reaction time and will help you on a pro tree. A shorter front tire will also help with the reaction time on a pro tree. as for your 2 step or tranny brake helping your 60', it depends on where your cam makes power and what converter you are running.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

2 step can be used with a transbrake. alot of the standard tranny turbo guys use them to spool up the turbo at the line and control the launch. basically a controlled misfire at whichever RPM you choose.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowlsx
noob question... what exactly is a 2-step? can i 2-step be used with a transbrake?

the 2 step for our cars basically cuts spark to a few cylinders allowing you to come up higher in the rpm's without pushing through the lights. They are awesome for bracket racing cause they allow you to have the go pedal already floored and all you do is release a button.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
2 step is definately for reaction time and will help you on a pro tree. A shorter front tire will also help with the reaction time on a pro tree. as for your 2 step or tranny brake helping your 60', it depends on where your cam makes power and what converter you are running.
i figured the trans-brake was what would make the R/T faster and the 2step is what would keep me consistant. i also dont think my application will hook with the t-brake at full stall on my converter.

if it makes any difference....im in a 2001 extended cab silverado (4400ish lbs?)

stock bottom LS1
patriot ls6 heads (11.0:1)
231/239 .617/.623 111+2 cam
4l60e with a fuddle 3600 converter

dont want to really go shorter on the front tires since its a street truck. im running a 255/55/18 up front. i guess it hurts on the r/t but helps on the ET right? i drive it to the track, bolt on slicks and run the 7.50 class and drive it home.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

the 2 step for our cars basically cuts spark to a few cylinders allowing you to come up higher in the rpm's without pushing through the lights. They are awesome for bracket racing cause they allow you to have the go pedal already floored and all you do is release a button.
now yall are confusing me...what you explained with the 2step sounds like the transbrake to me haha. are you talking about it in a standard trans perspective? like when it lets off of the clutch button?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it have a billet input and output shaft? I wouldn't even try it if it doesn't. Or you'll be sweeping up your trans.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

now yall are confusing me...what you explained with the 2step sounds like the transbrake to me haha. are you talking about it in a standard trans perspective? like when it lets off of the clutch button?
A two step cuts timing or fuel, depending on application. A tranny brake is exactly how it sounds, it keeps the tranny from turning the driveshaft till you let go of a button. A tranny brake lets you mash it until and leave at 6000 if you want. My buddy runs both together.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

A two step cuts timing or fuel, depending on application. A tranny brake is exactly how it sounds, it keeps the tranny from turning the driveshaft till you let go of a button. A tranny brake lets you mash it until and leave at 6000 if you want. My buddy runs both together.
does the t-brake and 2 step combo work good for him? ive never seen or heard of it being done.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

does the t-brake and 2 step combo work good for him? ive never seen or heard of it being done.
he loves it
Old 08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default class

When you enter the footbrake class, just make sure no one knows you've got it. If they contest, just put the car on the trailer and leave.

You might want to look into one of those optical sensors with a delay box while you're at it. LOL.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I think a 2 step would be useful if you can't hook because (a) track sucks or (b) your ride can't hook your power level.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a two step is nothing but an early rev limiter that disconnects or ends upon some trigger (release of a transmission break is an excellent example).

its very beneficial. it will allow you to launch on the transbreak exactly the rpm you desire. if the track isnt hooking, you can (among other things) set the 2 step lower and launch at a lower rpm. if the track wants more, you can set it to launch as high as the converter will come up.

oh and dont be a douche and use a two step/transbrake in a footbrake class. you will be asked to never come back again.

a two step and transbrake go hand in hand on any motor combo. braket racers in electronics class use them.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 step/transbrake... bad in footbrake... ok in most no-box venues. read your rules; just don't read b/w the lines.

transbrake also let you run a larger converter.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tee-boy
When you enter the footbrake class, just make sure no one knows you've got it. If they contest, just put the car on the trailer and leave.

You might want to look into one of those optical sensors with a delay box while you're at it. LOL.
not in a foot brake class...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I think a 2 step would be useful if you can't hook because (a) track sucks or (b) your ride can't hook your power level.
definately option B lol. im in an extended cab silverado so traction is always a war.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
a two step is nothing but an early rev limiter that disconnects or ends upon some trigger (release of a transmission break is an excellent example).

its very beneficial. it will allow you to launch on the transbreak exactly the rpm you desire. if the track isnt hooking, you can (among other things) set the 2 step lower and launch at a lower rpm. if the track wants more, you can set it to launch as high as the converter will come up.

oh and dont be a douche and use a two step/transbrake in a footbrake class. you will be asked to never come back again.

a two step and transbrake go hand in hand on any motor combo. braket racers in electronics class use them.
Originally Posted by tee-boy
2 step/transbrake... bad in footbrake... ok in most no-box venues. read your rules; just don't read b/w the lines.

transbrake also let you run a larger converter.
im not in a foot brake class...50% of the guys i race in my class are running transbrakes...usually that same 50% ends up in the top 3 places. we have the option of running a footbrake though. im running the SNS drag series 7.50 class here in the houston area.

i may need to check the book on the 2 step though.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default rules

track rules. there all different.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think the only real rule in my class is the tire size. i know theres guys out there on transbrakes and delay boxes with chips to limit the rpm on the t-brake. now that i think about it, last time out they lined me up against a tubbed truck so im not even sure if theres a tire limit. run whatcha brung i guess.

just no automatic brakes (or whatever they are called)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 step and transbrake on a N/A application?