General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

eng cooling fan problems

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default eng cooling fan problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off lets start with the basic problem. My low speed fan (fan 1) is not running. My high speed fan (fan 2) is working properly.
1) I have checked the relays and they check out according to the Haynes trouble shooting. When the fans are commanded on the relays click like they are getting the proper signal to turn on the fans. 2) The fan motor itself is working with direct 12v and ground jumpers. 3) I have HPT and can command the fans on/off. When I command fan 1, nothing happens. When I command fan 2, the fan on the passenger side comes on. During normal operation I logged to see when the PCM commanded the fans and when it commands fan 1 it does not come on. Fan 2 is working properly.

So what am I missing here. Under all these circumstances I never get a ground to the fan 1 connector. 12V+ is there but no ground. I tried to go through the relays and check for grounding of the circuit but get lost with the whole 3 relay setup. Anyone have some advise as to what to check from here?

Also the one fan only comes on when the coolant temp reaches the high fan setting.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1998 F-Body fans are supposed to come "on" and go "off" together.

They are also supposed to operate on "low ' and "high" settings together.

I think you fan motor for #1 is failed.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor #1 runs with direct 12v. PCM is commanding the fan, but nothing.

Is this more likely a relay problem?

OP, I know you said you checked the relay, but is there another relay in the block with the same values you can sub as a tester?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Motor #1 runs with direct 12v. PCM is commanding the fan, but nothing.

Is this more likely a relay problem?

OP, I know you said you checked the relay, but is there another relay in the block with the same values you can sub as a tester?
Oops, missed that. So yeah, relay or a bad wire.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

The relays are fine. I can swtch them with one another and I get the same results. What I am relly looking for is how to troubleshoot the wires. Obviously something is not getting the proper signal but is it a ground or a 12v+? Anyone have a diagram of what wires are energized when?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

OK. I finally got the fans working properly. Apparently a relay can check good but still not work properly. I found a diagram over on PT.net on the wiring of a three relay fan system. The relays would click and send the signal through the correct pins on the table but would not transfer the volatge when plugged in the car. I ended up replacing the low fan relay and the #3 relay as niether one was doing what it was supposed to be doing. All is working good now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: eng cooling fan problems