Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey quick question

Old 11-20-2003, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hey quick question

I AM GOING TO GET MY 4L60E REBUILT CAUSE IT IS GOING OUT. IT IS COMING OUT OF MY F BODY. WHAT GENERALLY CAN YOU PUT IN FOR GOOD HARD PARTS. LIKE SERVOS AND STUFF. I HEARD PEOPLE HAVE BEEN REPLACING THEM WITH CORVETTE HARD PARTS. WHAT DO YOU THINK. THANKS TOM
Old 11-21-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Corvette or billet intermediate servo, upgraded input drum, upgraded sunshell, upgraded band, upgraded 3/4 clutches, 13 vane pump (your car may already have that), 29 element sprag, and of course a shift kit. There's currently a debate in this forum on 5 pinion planetaries. My opinion is stock 4 pinions are plenty strong enough, but we'll see how that turns out.

The only "Corvette" part that is upgraded is the servo. The Corvette input and output shafts are different than the F-body (different meaning incompatable but not better), and the rest of the internals are pretty much the same. At the end of the day, a transmission is only as good as the builder though. All the wiz bang parts in the world won't keep a transmission together if it's built incorrectly.

I'd say the key to keeping a trans together is 70% builder, and 20% parts.

The other 10% is luck
Old 11-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
At the end of the day, a transmission is only as good as the builder though. All the wiz bang parts in the world won't keep a transmission together if it's built incorrectly.

I'd say the key to keeping a trans together is 70% builder, and 20% parts.

The other 10% is luck
Smartest thing I've read in the auto trans forum.

This is especially true in the area of shift kits and the problematic 3/4 clutch. Most of the right parts are out there to build yourself a very capable 4L60E, but it takes a smart builder to make it all work. I'm often impressed with some of the talented and innovative builders out there doing great things with the 4L60E. More often though, I'm disappointed to read about the hacks. . Consider yourself lucky if you've found a good one.

Edit: Forgot to say I concur on the 4-pinion for 1BAD, especially if it's a bolt on car. The hard parts should be the last of your worries until you reach the 450-500 flywheel hp level

Last edited by BAD APPLE; 11-21-2003 at 08:34 AM.

Search this Thread