Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

confusion about what clutch to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default confusion about what clutch to use?

hi guys im not sure what clutch set am i suppsoed to use, what i have is a T56 from a C5 vette and its was rebuilt and converted to an Fbody style T56 i got an LS1 bell housing and i want to mate this to a 2003 LM7 5.3 that came out of a Yukon XL i also have a LS1 stock flywheel from an Fbody so what im not sure is what clutch kit throw out bearing, slave cylinder, pilot bearing and what ever else im missing do i need to get this all to work right? i had mike at texas motorsport rebuild the trans form(he did a really great job and Quickly too!) he told me about this "The input shaft on the Corvette is slightly shorter than the LS1 type input shaft. I believe there is a pilot bearing spacer available to address this issue." can someone help i tried serching already and i wasnt seeing what i was looking for. thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stdgrabbag
hi guys im not sure what clutch set am i suppsoed to use, what i have is a T56 from a C5 vette and its was rebuilt and converted to an Fbody style T56 i got an LS1 bell housing and i want to mate this to a 2003 LM7 5.3 that came out of a Yukon XL i also have a LS1 stock flywheel from an Fbody so what im not sure is what clutch kit throw out bearing, slave cylinder, pilot bearing and what ever else im missing do i need to get this all to work right? i had mike at texas motorsport rebuild the trans form(he did a really great job and Quickly too!) he told me about this "The input shaft on the Corvette is slightly shorter than the LS1 type input shaft. I believe there is a pilot bearing spacer available to address this issue." can someone help i tried serching already and i wasnt seeing what i was looking for. thanks

Hmmm, interesting. I will say that I am not that familiar with the Corvette '56's (and thier dimensions) You can PM "thesource" or "mike85TPI" as these guys are real familiar with all teh interchangeable's of each. I am familiar with the LT/LS FBody T56, so maybe they will chime in for you on that.
But, I do need to ask this...

Why would you spend all that money on a tranny, and not know what clutch you can use on it? I would have thought you would have investigated all that before hand. Not to mention, FBody T56's are so cheap to begin with, why did you not go that route to start with? Just curious
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Teching In

McLeod has an extended pilot bearing. It is huge... it certainly was too big for what I had in mind, but MAYBE, it is what you are looking for.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

well when i bought it it was a 5.3 t56 on the craigslist for $1200 what i got was a the engine as a pull out from to to bottom wireing intake everything minus the accesories. the trans was dissasembled not know that it was from a vette the guy that i bought it from said it would work and had a list of the parts so i called and checked with Texasmotorsports and was told that it would work so i got it, but wasnt sure what what was needed to attatch to the engine. i serched and was told about a spacer or somthing not really sure so thats why i posted here. to be clear on what i needed. i didnt want to assume everyting is like the fbody and then buy a pile of parts that i dont really need.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stdgrabbag
well when i bought it it was a 5.3 t56 on the craigslist for $1200 what i got was a the engine as a pull out from to to bottom wireing intake everything minus the accesories. the trans was dissasembled not know that it was from a vette the guy that i bought it from said it would work and had a list of the parts so i called and checked with Texasmotorsports and was told that it would work so i got it, but wasnt sure what what was needed to attatch to the engine. i serched and was told about a spacer or somthing not really sure so thats why i posted here. to be clear on what i needed. i didnt want to assume everyting is like the fbody and then buy a pile of parts that i dont really need.

OK, I gotcha. Makes a little more sense now. Again, since I am not familiar with the Vette Input shaft, you might want to check with "thesource" or "MIke85TPI".

That being said, do you know if they used the FBody MIDplate? Do you have any pics of it?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

if thats the plate that is basically the front of the trans then yes.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

PM sent......

Quick Reply: confusion about what clutch to use?