Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My UMI torque arm broke . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My UMI torque arm broke . . .

very disapointed in my UMI torque arm. this arm only has 20-25 passes on it going 11.8-12.2 with 1.7-1.62 60'. in an automatic with 2800 stall. the arm only has 3000-3200 miles. really would like to know what UMI is going to say?
damn near rippped my rear bumper cover off the car, and put a hole in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails My UMI torque arm broke . . .-broke-torque-arm.jpg  

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 08-06-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Removed the inflammatory title . . .
Old 08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, that's rough. Hope mine doesn't do that.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So did you politey contact them via the telephone, or e-mail BEFORE posting?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
So did you politey contact them via the telephone, or e-mail BEFORE posting?
Customer has e-mailed us and we replied to gather his information for the warranty, just waiting for him to reply. We just need to confirm he is the original owner and we can get him a replacement out. That version is quite a few years old and we can replace it with a newer design.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh yeah, I see the difference between that one and the one I have.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Oh yeah, I see the difference between that one and the one I have.
That torque arm is a good 3-4 years old based on the design. I also noticed the user is running a Moser 12-Bolt which *could* have contributed to it. We just need to verify some information from the user and we can get him taken care of.

Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

was that chromemoly or mild steel?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pictures of what the old one looks like? i have a used one i picked up and didnt know there was a newer model. i hope its not the old because i already broke the back half of it, i would hate for the arm to brake like that.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Its mild steel from looking at the picture. We have only had a few break, 3-4 total out of thousands and most of them were used with a Moser 12-bolt which can contribute due to the way the bolts mount.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:11 PM

i have been in contact with UMI and so far they seem willing to help. i don't want everyone to think that they are trying to screw me. i was un aware of the updated arm. so far it looks like they are going to make things right.

on a second note, why would a moser 12-bolt be any harder on the torque arm?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

I am running the UMI adjustable trans mounted torque arm on my moser 12-bolt and running mid 10's, 4200-stall, and 1.45 sixty foot time. The only thing i did was put loctite on new mounting bolts. I have not had a single issue.

Last edited by BJSS25; 08-06-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darknight02
i have been in contact with UMI and so far they seem willing to help. i don't want everyone to think that they are trying to screw me. i was un aware of the updated arm. so far it looks like they are going to make things right.

on a second note, why would a moser 12-bolt be any harder on the torque arm?
Well, you certainly didn't paint a pretty picture with your original post since you immediately went on the offensive. Regardless of whether or not that was your intent, your tone could have been different with your post so that people would think you were at least willing to let UMI try to help you out. I know that when parts break you get very frustrated, and it is natural to want to post stuff like this, but sometimes it is just better to wait a little while, gather your thoughts, and think about it from all sides involved.

And FYI - do you recall that the factory 10-bolt uses two long through bolts to attach the torque arm to the pumpkin? The Moser uses four short bolts that go into blind, tapped holes - two on top, two on the bottom. The design, in a word, sucks, and the 4 short bolts are notorious for backing out if not checked regularly. Their 9-inch housing doesn't use this design (it uses the two long bolts just like stock), and neither does the Strange 12-bolt. If you get frisky and try the search function, there is a lot of information in this section about this very problem.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 PM

the fact that the bolts coming out does make sense, but that doesn't make the arm any weaker? right? all bolts were tight here. from what i remember i thought that the arm was moly, not mild steel. could be wrong though. and like i said before, my intent was not to just come on the forum and post some bash session against UMI they haven't done anything below par so far and it looks like they are going to stand behind there product.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

my buddy is running the umi double adjustable and he is in love with the thing a built 408 LS.... and a moser 12 bolt hes cutting mid to low 10s and hasnt had a problem. ive dealt with umi guys alot and ran into them at alot of shows and they are some real down to earth guys and really will help you out in every way they can. just give them a chance. i cant wait to start ordering parts for my 3rd gen.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every piece of aftermarket suspension in my car is UMI, I have been using their products for years. No problems so far. I'm sure they will set things straight with your situation.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Well, you certainly didn't paint a pretty picture with your original post since you immediately went on the offensive. Regardless of whether or not that was your intent, your tone could have been different with your post so that people would think you were at least willing to let UMI try to help you out. I know that when parts break you get very frustrated, and it is natural to want to post stuff like this, but sometimes it is just better to wait a little while, gather your thoughts, and think about it from all sides involved.

And FYI - do you recall that the factory 10-bolt uses two long through bolts to attach the torque arm to the pumpkin? The Moser uses four short bolts that go into blind, tapped holes - two on top, two on the bottom. The design, in a word, sucks, and the 4 short bolts are notorious for backing out if not checked regularly. Their 9-inch housing doesn't use this design (it uses the two long bolts just like stock), and neither does the Strange 12-bolt. If you get frisky and try the search function, there is a lot of information in this section about this very problem.
He's Right!
We are waiting for a email response to get the info we need to get the process started. Like mentioned above out of thousands that we sell we are not perfect! we try....but we have had a few problems. And in the end we UMI Performance will stand behind our products.
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darknight02
the fact that the bolts coming out does make sense, but that doesn't make the arm any weaker? right?
No technically the arm does not get weaker if the bolts back out, but when the bolts do come loose there is "slop" in the system. The slop allows the axle to "hammer" the torque arm when the axle rotates upwards. Instead of a smooth load on the torque arm there's a impact load.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM

that makes perfect sense, and i understand the about the bolt situation. they were tight and i used red locktight on them when i put the arm in the car. but i will take your advise and keep an eye on them and continue to use locktight.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
So is a Strange 12 bolt a better choice than the Moser because of this? Or do both have their pros/cons, pick your poison type thing?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So is a Strange 12 bolt a better choice than the Moser because of this? Or do both have their pros/cons, pick your poison type thing?
The Strange 12-Bolt and Strange S60 both use the through bolts like factory does... this is a much better design, I feel at least. The Moser 9" uses the through bolt design as well, just the 12-Bolt uses the smaller bolt design. I would recommend the Strange 12-Bolt

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Quick Reply: My UMI torque arm broke . . .