General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any ideas what may have happened?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas what may have happened?

Okay, drove to work today without any issues. Car has been running great for a long time.

Come out of school and the car wont start. I pop the hood and my positive terminal is corroded and loose. (Nobody had a hand tools, so I hand tightened as best I could) Was able to get it jumped, but the car would die if I didn't constantly apply some gas to keep the RPMs up. Got the car home okay, grabbed an 8mm socket and tightened up the positive cable nice and tight. Car now starts just fine and holds RPMs.

However, it seems my oil pressure is a tad low. Its now at about 39-40 at idle, I don't recall my oil pressure being that low before. Maybe its just because I am am more observant after having problems..

Also, now I have a RPM related ticking coming from under the car (at least I don't hear it if I am up near the engine bay) that I had not heard before. The car did seem a bit underpowered on the highway, but again it could be all in my head.

On the way home I did have instances where the car almost died because of the RPMs dropping. A M6 in stop and go traffic, while maintaining gas pedal pressure AND having only two feet is quite the chore..

Does any of this sound problematic? Could I have done any kind of damage letting the RPMs drop almost to the point of stalling then stabbing the throttle to keep the engine alive?

No SES lights or other problems.

Hopefully I am completely paranoid and everything is right as rain =)

Appreciate any info or help to put my mind at ease one way or another!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to begin 39 to 40 on the oil gauge is around average for our cars, especially in texas, as long as it increases under acceleration and doesnt go below that. it is kind of according to what oil ur using. at idle mine runs at around 42 at cold start and then dips to 40 after heated up. but under city acceleration it is around 60. second off i havent seen or heard of an ls1 that doesnt slightly knock upon intial startup until it gets to normal running temp near 210 on mine. someone once told me something about its the crank positioning sensor causing this problem. last of all, the least of ur worries..... the loose terminal. as longg as it is running good now that you have tightened the termnals and cleaned em up a bit i would leave it alone. another thing either you or i dont have factory side post bolts cuz i have to use a 10mm wrench on my terminals.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you clean all the corrosion off the cable ends and inside the terminals on the battery? Corrosion will cause all your troubles. The ticking, I don't know.

39-40 at idle is GREAT oil pressure.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually I've heard it is the oil that causes the piston slap.. in 2005 they changed the formulations. The "high mileage" oil has the older set of additives in it. (If you look at the back of a bottle of normal oil and HM oil, the API stamp has a different code on it). Been told that using HM oil on pre-2005 cars is better, and can reduce/remove piston slap because of the different additive package. Also 2005 and newer shouldn't use HM oil because of the difference.

Whether it is true or not, I don't know. Just what I've heard. Might be worth using HM oil on one oil change to see if piston slap is reduced or goes away.