Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI PHB Relocation kit interference

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI PHB Relocation kit interference

Hey guys, I just finished installing most of my suspension components on the car. I installed a UMI PHB relocation kit. The car is an 86 Camaro, worked great. Bolted in and holes lined up perfectly. When I installed my new rear end (MWC fabbed 9") and then put in the Panhard bar, I noticed that the bar was dangerously close to the brace.

At that moment, the car was jacked and the rear end was only held by the shocks. After putting the brakes and wheels together I dropped the car at ride height. Everything looked fine, but when I looked under the car to start adjusting everything I saw that the PHB was hitting the brace dead on. I dont understand whats up with this. The axle is a fabbed 9" built to the stock 10 bolts specs. The PHB bracket is at the same place.

I double checked the pinion angle and everything was fine there too.
Here are some pics, let me know what you guys think. I know they are kinda dark, just turn the brightness up!

Edit: The car is lowered on air springs, but its @ right height at the moment and not completely dropped. I have a good 1 1/2" from the tire to the fender.

Last edited by Spike-Z; 08-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

A good reason not to put one on any lowered car, it puts your PHB at to much of a angle!
Contact UMI, maybe they can fabricate, or recommend someone that can fabricate a mount bracket to lower the the PHB on the drivers side the same amount as the passenger side.
Otherwise ditch the PHB relocation, and put your PHB back in the stock location.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
A good reason not to put one on any lowered car, it puts your PHB at to much of a angle!
Contact UMI, maybe they can fabricate, or recommend someone that can fabricate a mount bracket to lower the the PHB on the drivers side the same amount as the passenger side.
Otherwise ditch the PHB relocation, and put your PHB back in the stock location.
I 100% agree with you. Im going to fab a PHB mounting point relocation. I just dont understand why it has about 1/4" between the 2 bars while its @ stock height. Seems awfully close to me.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike-Z
I 100% agree with you. Im going to fab a PHB mounting point relocation. I just dont understand why it has about 1/4" between the 2 bars while its @ stock height. Seems awfully close to me.
I am going to have to say that quite a bit of the issues are because it is being used with a fabricated rear end. We have never tried it with that type of rear end before... if the panhard bar mounts on the rear end are changed at all it will change the height as well. In the pictures it looks like the panhard bar is going in a pretty steep angle upward towards the drivers side. I would recommend getting a bracket that lowers the panhard bar on the drivers side, Jegs sales one that works well.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I am going to have to say that quite a bit of the issues are because it is being used with a fabricated rear end. We have never tried it with that type of rear end before... if the panhard bar mounts on the rear end are changed at all it will change the height as well. In the pictures it looks like the panhard bar is going in a pretty steep angle upward towards the drivers side. I would recommend getting a bracket that lowers the panhard bar on the drivers side, Jegs sales one that works well.
Thanks for the reply UMI. I was expecting you sneaking in this thread. Im going to check what jegs has to offer but what I dont understand is why arent you guys building one? It could came with the relocation kit... I think it makes sense. no?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

I disagree with that. I just put a the same PHB relocation kit on my 02 camaro with a stock 10 bolt and am having the same problem. My car is lowered with strano springs which is why I am having this problem. I wish I would've known about this before I bought a $200 piece that isnt complete! I guess I'm going to have to try that jegs bracket and see if that works.

Last edited by ennovations; 08-06-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike-Z
Thanks for the reply UMI. I was expecting you sneaking in this thread. Im going to check what jegs has to offer but what I dont understand is why arent you guys building one? It could came with the relocation kit... I think it makes sense. no?
We do need to build one, it is so simple, just haven't had the time. Its only needed in this situation and possible lowered cars. I will get on it asap.

This brace will work on a lowered car, however they may hit slightly over heavy bumps. When designing this brace we removed the rear springs and compressed the car to the bump stops with no hitting, however a heavy jerk on a lowered car could touch them together.

Lowering the drivers side of the panhard bar will give you optimal clearance. The relocation bracket lowers the passenger side only leaving the panhard bar at a slight angle. Lowering the drivers side will level the panhard bar out, improve clearance and even improve handling by correcting the angle.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Launching!

We do need to build one, it is so simple, just haven't had the time. Its only needed in this situation and possible lowered cars. I will get on it asap.

This brace will work on a lowered car, however they may hit slightly over heavy bumps. When designing this brace we removed the rear springs and compressed the car to the bump stops with no hitting, however a heavy jerk on a lowered car could touch them together.

Lowering the drivers side of the panhard bar will give you optimal clearance. The relocation bracket lowers the passenger side only leaving the panhard bar at a slight angle. Lowering the drivers side will level the panhard bar out, improve clearance and even improve handling by correcting the angle.
Youre right with everything you said Ryan, even tho you have to agree that the relocation kit should be sold with a PHB bracket. Even on stock height cars, the panhard bar is at a slight angle and throwing the car out of geometry. Like you said, its a very simple piece and since I dont feel like waiting weeks, Ill fab something this week-end. I have plywood, tie-wraps and some hot glue... should be plenty strong enough!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice looking underneath and those Konis caught my eye as well as what look to be C6 Z06 calipers. Any pictures of them in the wheels? Sorry for the hijack.

EDIT: NM, saw them on cardomain. Very nice!

Last edited by JamRWS6; 08-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

I agree as well, you do need to build one, a 2 bolt on one, a 3 position one at least, 5 position would be perfect. It needs to be adjustable with settings for stock and 2 lowered positions - 1", and - 2" and 2 in between. It should have been included with the bar from the begining when this kit was first offered, as it seems the Jegs kit was made to correct this geometry problem with all aftermarket phb relocation kits and really needs to be welded on to keep that flat parallel adjustment.
How many lowered cars have decided to go this route, to correct or allow them a way to run duals on their ride only to find they now have a new problem created by the very item they purchased to fix another. I am glad you watch the threads on this, as it does show you guys really do want to improve your products and offer the best item you can. I commend you for that and admitting that it needs to be fixed. Now I am waiting for the new and improved model to be offered by you, so I can purchase one in the future, when I go to duals on my lowered car.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 08-07-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Very nice looking underneath and those Konis caught my eye as well as what look to be C6 Z06 calipers. Any pictures of them in the wheels? Sorry for the hijack.

EDIT: NM, saw them on cardomain. Very nice!
I have a build thread in the conversion/hybrid part of the website. Its called "My 3rd gen IROC swap". Should be on 2nd page I think
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Ok, so I made a test bracket with 3/16 thick masonite. Fits perfect and is adjustable to my needs. Now I just have to reproduce them in steel and weld everything together.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on the UMI bracket?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible someone could put up that part number or description mentioned. I put this on my car also and havent put it down on its on weight and didnt notice im glad you said something... I love your products ( their on both of my camaros) UMI but i am suprised this hasnt come up before.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Jegs already makes one for our cars, I made a post about it since I was having the same issues. It would be nice for umi to make one of these and include it in the kit or offer it so I could pick one up. I still havent gotten one but need to bad it's not as bad as the OP but I'm sure it's worse when there is some weight in the car.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/41055/10002/-1

Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Jegs already makes one for our cars, I made a post about it since I was having the same issues. It would be nice for umi to make one of these and include it in the kit or offer it so I could pick one up. I still havent gotten one but need to bad it's not as bad as the OP but I'm sure it's worse when there is some weight in the car.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/41055/10002/-1

I may actually look into picking this up next season. I do primarily short oval track stuff right now. I've been reading that this will lower my roll center during the constant left turn. I'll probably give it a try at least. This one appears to give more of a choice of settings than the one setting from BMR or UMI.. unless they make one like this? I have no issues with clearance on the upper brace.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
True, if youre using the stock rear end.
Jeg's bracket doesn't work with MWC rear ends tho. Youll have to go custom like I did.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a383z
Is it possible someone could put up that part number or description mentioned. I put this on my car also and havent put it down on its on weight and didnt notice im glad you said something... I love your products ( their on both of my camaros) UMI but i am suprised this hasnt come up before.
Hello
Great to hear that you are satisfied with the quality and performance of your parts. The Part # that they are inquiring about is #2024. We usually don't have any issues but once again we design all of our suspension parts to work with stock ride height cars and vehicles with factory rear ends. But it will also work on the Moser Rear ends and the Strange Dana 60. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So, any updates?
Old 09-05-2009, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

god, spike-z your is so sexy. eventually i'd like to do that as well...

Quick Reply: UMI PHB Relocation kit interference