Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running open loop question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running open loop question.

Is open loop the same as speed density mode the reason i ask is because i was thinking about programing my car to run in open loop all the time. when the car is in open loop it idles perfect, part throttle acceleration is smoother and full throttle is smoother. It just all out runs better. I get no KR so it`s not running lean. will it hurt anything doing this? Any comments are appreciated.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Open loop can be run either in SD or MAF mode. Open loop just means your car is ignoring the o2's - no fuel trims.

Speed Density means your car calculates fueling based off the manifold pressure, rpm, displacement, air temp, etc. this is as opposed to maf mode, which simply measures the massflow of air going into the engine (instead of calculating it).
Old 11-21-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

So when you start the car in the morning it`s just ignoring the o2s I did notice that when the cars in open loop the l-trims and s-trims read 0? Any ideas why it runs so much better when in open loop?
Old 11-21-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Closed loop is going to set it to stoich (14.7:1) and
this is only best for emissions; better economy leaner,
better performance richer. Richer makes a smoother
idle and more power. Cold engine may also get some
more spark advance and enrichment than normal
operating temp.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

any time i shut the car off for a few minutes even if i`ve been driving it for 20 min and just run into the store when i start it again and start driving it runs great and then it goes into closed loop and the car starts running totaly differant. I can tell the instant it goes into closed loop.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Would it hurt anything to set my closed loop enable temp to like 260*F so it don`t go into closed loop just To see what happens?
Old 11-23-2003, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Open loop can be run either in SD or MAF mode. Open loop just means your car is ignoring the o2's - no fuel trims.

Speed Density means your car calculates fueling based off the manifold pressure, rpm, displacement, air temp, etc. this is as opposed to maf mode, which simply measures the massflow of air going into the engine (instead of calculating it).
My car is always in open loop. Our version of the PCM does not use any O2 sensors.

ChrisB, is there a way to know if my car is running in SD or MAF mode? Can autotap help?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChrisB

chrisb,
does this mean you can set the car to open loop, take out the stock O2s, and put in a wideband full-time? i was told that the computer still needs the stock O2s for part throttle. is this true? TIA.