Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new cam, more power, missing shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cam, more power, missing shifts

I just got my ms4, ls6 intake, tune, etc in. I have a B&M shifter and a DFX clutch. I NEVER missed shifts before the cam. But so far i've made 2 open throttle passes and both times the car refused to go into 4th under full throttle. 1st,2nd,3rd, all fine, but not 4th. Both times when i missed 4th it sounded like a was litterally throwing a rock gorge from the car, when i put it back into gear. Both times it also drive perfectly after i missed the shifts, all the gears work and no problems. But my car will NOT let me hit 4th with this new power. I have no idea what the hell is going on. We didn't do the drill mod when we put the clutch in and everything, anyone got any ideas on what it could be?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the wonderful world of the F body hydraulics. Hopefully you replaced the slave when you did the clutch swap. Try the drill mod. If that doesn't work, from painful experiance, I recommend the tick master.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would do the drill mod, dunno why people do all that work and dont do something that is free and easy to do. it makes a world of difference, but i would def be cautious dont want to end up messing up the trans. my slave went out and i needed to have the trans rebuilt. so be very careful my friend
Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I replaced the slave when i did the clutch. Ordering a new tick master and doing the drill mod soon. Think that should take care of the problems?
Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

After all the hydraulic issues I had, and my inability to fix it after replacing the master, slave, drill mod, and entire clutch assembly, I killed my origional T56 as well. If the Tick master doesn't solve the issues, then I am done, going auto.

If you have ordered the tick master cylinder, dont worry about doing the drill mod. The tick unit comes with it's own master to slave hose and quick disconnect
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tator98ta
. Ordering a new tick master and doing the drill mod soon. ?

If you buy teh TICK MC, you don't need to do the drill mod.

Also, have you tried this:

Instead of going 1-4, go out, when it is still somewhat cool. In other words, do NOT do this AFTER you have been beating on it.

OK, so, do this:
Go EASY and through the gears (just normal driving) until you get into 3rd. Bring it up to speed, floor it, and THEN try and hit 4th. If it goes into gear fine, then you have a MC (lack of fluid) problem. If it STILL does not go into gear, I would say you have a POSSIBLE tranny problem, but would still not rule out hydraulics.

Reason being is..going through gears, with stock hydraulics, shfiting gears, there is not enough fluid after repeated shifts, and by the time you get to 4th, not enough fluid/pressure to disengage clutch properly, and why you miss 4th.
And that is why, if you just normal drive it, until 3rd, and you hammer it, try and hit 4th, and it GOES into gear, you can say it is MC causing problem, almost 100% certain at that point.
BUT, if it STILL does NOT go into gear, I do not believe it is MC, though it could be, the chances are slimmer is all.
Make sense?

But, go try that first
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen414
If you buy teh TICK MC, you don't need to do the drill mod.

Also, have you tried this:

Instead of going 1-4, go out, when it is still somewhat cool. In other words, do NOT do this AFTER you have been beating on it.

OK, so, do this:
Go EASY and through the gears (just normal driving) until you get into 3rd. Bring it up to speed, floor it, and THEN try and hit 4th. If it goes into gear fine, then you have a MC (lack of fluid) problem. If it STILL does not go into gear, I would say you have a POSSIBLE tranny problem, but would still not rule out hydraulics.

Reason being is..going through gears, with stock hydraulics, shfiting gears, there is not enough fluid after repeated shifts, and by the time you get to 4th, not enough fluid/pressure to disengage clutch properly, and why you miss 4th.
And that is why, if you just normal drive it, until 3rd, and you hammer it, try and hit 4th, and it GOES into gear, you can say it is MC causing problem, almost 100% certain at that point.
BUT, if it STILL does NOT go into gear, I do not believe it is MC, though it could be, the chances are slimmer is all.
Make sense?

But, go try that first
Yeah that def makes sense. Thanks for the help guys, ill go out and see what i can come up with.

Quick Reply: new cam, more power, missing shifts