Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e rear VSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e rear VSS

I have a 4 wheel drive 4l80e but its adapted to an older np208 so there is no speed sensor port in these. I bought another sensor but it still shifts very late and very hard when it does. Am I going to have to get a reluctor ring installed in the tranny or what? How hard would it be to do myself. How much do you think they would charge at a tranny shop to do it?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

You probably need a reluctor wheel. Just take the VSS out and shine a light in the hole. If it's smooth is needs one, if it came off a 4x4 it needs one most likely.

To do it yourself, you need to take the valvebody off to access the center support bolt, then the pump and all of the geartrain needs to come out. It's not difficult really. You might even get away with doing it and not needing gaskets if the trans isn't too old and you're careful. But if you do a whole kit is $40 or so.

Getting a price from a shop should be staight forward, just tell them you have the trans out and need a rear reluctor wheel installed. They might wonder why you're putting one in it and keeping the 4x4 output. That and it's still going shift funny in 4x4 low.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

I got a shop to do the install with the reluctor wheel for 300 bucks. Thats after I take the tranny out myself which I already did so that doesn't sound to bad So they are going to do it monday

Quick Reply: 4l80e rear VSS