Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

09 C6 shift issue, only on 3-4 shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 C6 shift issue, only on 3-4 shift

Last night I took the car out to a local meet to try to get some fun. I ended up playing with a KB Cobra and a few other cars.

My car is a 09 MN6 C6 has less than 1000 miles on it, only mods are full exhaust, Vararam and tune. Never ran hard on the street, before last night, so here's the situation.

The Cobra and I lined up 6 times, 1-4th gear and I was powershifting without issue, I must say this trans powershifts smooooooth. I was scratching the tires on every shift and some of it was with traction control on.

After we stopped and I let the car cool down a little, we headed back and I got into a few more runs with another C6 and some big turbo EVOs. We ran about 3-4 times, 2-4 gear pulls and I powershifted again. This time, it would scratch the tires in the 3rd but when I shifted to 4th, the car would kind of hesitate/bog on the shift, then take off. ONLY in 4th and only on the shift.

The car ran smooth as butter all night, pulled very consistently, and the "lag" is not coming from the motor, it feels like it's coming from the rear.

I lifted during the shift and it did not do it. Only when I keep my foot down on the pedal between the shift. The only difference from the first runs I can tell was that it was not scratching the tires anymore going to 4th.

Now to further explain this issue. It feels like it's something in the rear is either is being "held back" for a minor second before the car wants to go again. But the strange part is that there is no noise other than the normal shifting noises, no wheel hop, and the motor is still pulling strong. It's almost as if the car is not reacting to the shift as fast as it should. It does not bang, rattle, groan, howl whatever. Everything sounds normal.

The best way to describe how it is feels is as if someone barely tapped the rear brakes only very quickly and let off.

Yes, I had traction control OFF. Active handling was ON.

I checked underneath the car last night and everything looked good. Dry as can be, I might have to put it on a lift to check all the bushings.

My question. Why only 4th gear shift? If something was mechanically broken or worn out, it should do it WORSE in 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I'm starting to lean towards I either:

1) Was getting tired and shifting slower, letting the RPMs touch the rev limiter before I shifted
2) Since the car was not scratching the tires, possibly from being heated up, when I powershifted into 4th the tires grabbed hard and something with the Active Handling took over?

Anyone experience anything with this problem? I was tuned with HP Tuners.

And the most important fact of this story is, Me: 5 Cobra: 1.

Last edited by Big Turkey; 08-07-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing inside of the unit that will hold you back as long as its in gear.