PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laptop ports for edit and ATAP?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laptop ports for edit and ATAP?????

I am going to buy a laptop today for edit and atap, what ports do I need the cables that come with these programs. Do I need any of the older type serial or parallel ports, or will USB's work for both. Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to hook directly to the laptop you will need serial ports. If you don't mind using a usb-serial converter then usb works fine. I would recommend the Keyspan usb-serial converter. Belkins and even B&B (autotap) don't work to well, at least not consistantly.

Also ls1-edit has a tendancy to screw up communications (any serial, parallel, network, wifi) after you reprogram the pcm, so I just reboot the machine and then everything works fine.

So since its getting hard to find serial ports, usb will work. The Keyspan converter are about $40-50.

Gary
Old 11-21-2003, 12:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i am fighting your problem right now, i just got a new laptop and most of them don't have serial ports any more. both atap and edit work off of a serial port as well as the fjo wideband and gtech.

they sell usb to serial converters but it seems they are not really 100% compatiable with windows xp. i started with a brand called "I Concepts", it works with the fjo but not atap or edit.

i called the atap guys and they told be to goto the "i concepts" web site and download the most current drivers and it "may" fix the problem. i tried but they dont seem to have a web site so i went back to the store and got a diferent brand, this one is from "iogear", well ****! even after going to their web site and geting the latest drivers it still wont run atap. it does run edit though so it is slightly better.

i have a brand new laptop, brand new atap cable, the latest atap software and the latest edit software. the only thing i have left to try is call atap and buy a usb to serial adapter from them(B&B electronics).

i am prety much amazed that this stuff doesn't work, how can i end up with 4 serial devices that wont work without a bunch of messing around? seems like they would have this all figured out.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:33 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by red ws6 99
If you want to hook directly to the laptop you will need serial ports. If you don't mind using a usb-serial converter then usb works fine. I would recommend the Keyspan usb-serial converter. Belkins and even B&B (autotap) don't work to well, at least not consistantly.

Also ls1-edit has a tendancy to screw up communications (any serial, parallel, network, wifi) after you reprogram the pcm, so I just reboot the machine and then everything works fine.

So since its getting hard to find serial ports, usb will work. The Keyspan converter are about $40-50.

Gary
where do you buy one of those "keyspan" units?, we have alot of chain stores around here.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Parish,
So what would you suggest, just get an older laptop, with a serial port on it? I really dont want a older slow piece of junk, do think their will be a solution to this problem anytime soon?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:47 PM
single digit dreamer

acourding to Gary if you get the right converter it will work, i am looking for one of those keyspan units localy, if i can find one i will probably be able to report back if it works or not later today.

they still sell laptops with serial ports but it is like one out of 5 have them, i am sure none of them will have them prety soon.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched till I found a Laptop that would work with the cable.

Found that most of the new models do not have the 9 pin port anymore.

I finally found a 2.4G Compaq that had the port and the other features I wanted. They're still out there.. just gotta hunt for them.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I "found" a laptop that I've been using for logging, it's
an old Toshiba 440CDX. It's slow (133MHz) but it has
one nice feature (aside from the DB9 serial on the back)
- its charger voltage is 15V and its plug is the standard
12V radar detector style. So I run it off the cigarette
lighter, straight in. It seems happy with 13.8V. If only
it was a mighty 266MHz....
Old 11-21-2003, 08:43 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just bought an old p3 500, 128 ram w/ serial ports for 375. works fine with efu and edit.

i also use the laptop for the internet and school, so it worked out great. just pick up an older laptop on ebay, therer cheap.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Will the serial port for a mouse work for the serial prot cable for the programs. I have found a few new laptops with that port for the mouse. Will that work?
Old 11-22-2003, 11:20 AM
single digit dreamer

i am about fed up with the laptop/usb issue, i got a keyspan adapter and it doesn't work either!! i need to do some tuning today and have been working to get it to work for weeks so that i could tune today.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Restricted User

I was asking about the convertor thing also, in Edit manual says not USB compliant. Went to the Military store, HP/Toshiba and Compaq (made by HP) all have new models out with Serial ports, I was amazed as Sony and many others dropped serial ports for USB and fire wire.
Good luck
Old 11-22-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can get a RS-232 Serial PCMCIA Card for laptops. This is not an emulator but a true serial port. Here is a link to one. There are many available.
http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_pcmcia.php
Old 11-22-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technoman64
You can get a RS-232 Serial PCMCIA Card for laptops. This is not an emulator but a true serial port. Here is a link to one. There are many available.
http://www.quatech.com/catalog/rs232_pcmcia.php
I like that. Wonder how it would hold up...
Old 11-22-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

From talking with Carputing about this issue, they recommend the PCMCIA card over USB any day. USB seems like it's always been a flaky standard.

The PCMCIA cards are more expensive, and can break easier, but they are indeed more reliable and more compliant.

-Andrew
Old 11-22-2003, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
i am about fed up with the laptop/usb issue, i got a keyspan adapter and it doesn't work either!! i need to do some tuning today and have been working to get it to work for weeks so that i could tune today.

I have a Sony VAIO GRV670 with only USB ports and after buying EFIlive I bought an adapter from Radio Shack. I am 99% positive that it was a Radio Shack brand adapter. The only problem I have had to date with the thing was that it came with screws instead of a place for screws(maybe vice versa), but the connectors stay together and the software seems to work fine. It did say that windows XP may not like the driver but like I said "to date" I have not had any problems with the connector. I have made only about ten logs and I do not own edit yet so it might not work with that.
When I get home I will post the brand and the model number of the adapter.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

this what autotap's guy told me ,,,i'll order it next week for my autotap

I always use our EDGEPORT/1 adapter. That one has never failed me with XP. You can order this from the AutoTap site.
http://autotap.com/autotap_accessory_products.html Joe
Old 11-23-2003, 12:09 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by silverTA
this what autotap's guy told me ,,,i'll order it next week for my autotap

I always use our EDGEPORT/1 adapter. That one has never failed me with XP. You can order this from the AutoTap site.
http://autotap.com/autotap_accessory_products.html Joe
i just ordered one of those, time to cross my fingers.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
i just ordered one of those, time to cross my fingers.

did it work for you
Old 11-28-2003, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I like that. Wonder how it would hold up...

I use one of these on my field laptop for connecting to testers on circuits and fiber optics.

Obviously you have to be careful with them as they can break if banged around too much. I have had no issues with mine and I use it in the N.IL outside year round.