Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Rockauto/Spectra EFI gas tank

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Rockauto/Spectra EFI gas tank

(Sorry for the double post on Chevelles.com. Was hoping for an answer quick!)

I unboxed the Spectra gas tank today. No instructions available so I have some questions.

1. Is there any prep work I need to do prior to installing and using it?

2. I noticed there's fluid sloshing inside so i'm not sure why that would be unless they tested it in the factory. Do I need to drain? I can't smell gas really from the neck.

3. It's not easy to remove the pump. Do I need to remove any type of items used during shipping.

4. What the heck is the extra fastening/ring for?

5. There are two wires; Gray and Purple. I know one is for the fuel sending unit (I think purple) and one is 12V to the pump. Any idea which one is which? I suppose I could check the resistance. I believe it's 40-90ohms somewhere for the sending unit but i'd rather not guess if possible.

Why they couldn't send instructions.. I don't know but thanks for your help!

This was how it looked unboxed

Closeup of the fittings and internal fuel pump
Old 08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you are putting this in a Chevelle so you would use instruction 2 (which I have attached). Note that the instructions refer to the gray wire as the ground which is not correct.

I installed mine in a '72 'vert and I did not do anything special prior to installation, although the tank did not have any fluid in it which I am sure you would want to remove. The fit was good and the breather lines hooked right up (see pic). The sending unit seems to read correctly too.

The only issue seems to be some fuel starvation around sharp corners or big up and down motions if the tank is around 1/2 full but I haven't fully checked it out yet to know for sure. I also had to bend the filler neck slightly to make it line up better behind the license plate.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Question about Rockauto/Spectra EFI gas tank-p1010323.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_0002_NEW_0001.pdf (222.3 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by clm69z28; 08-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Rockauto/Spectra EFI gas tank