Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

550 hp

Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 550 hp

well i set this goal for near future for my 01 camaro that has only boltons, the car is a complete street car it will see track maybe twice a year, i use it rarely, only for my club meets. taking in concideration i want to reach my goal the most economical way possible keeping my ac, that does not mean i want to skimp on anything, my main goal is to have a car that once its tuned be as reliable as a stock car, i want it to last a million years.lol.. ive been thinking of going with a procharger setup on low boost with a forged short block 347 or going with a 402 ls2 based, the dilemma im having with the last one is everything that it will take to convert over to a ls2 as opposed to staying with ls1 based motor and reuse lots of parts, im planning either way to buy a shortblock put it in myself and go get it tuned.
im reading what lots of dyno numbers on the 402 and it looks hard to get it to 550 completly NA.I see that some have got it there but on really high lifts. i really dont want to strain my motor and have it at the ragged edge at all time. i have a few friends that are helping me with putting in the engine and all, i have read and absorb lots of information and i want to tackle my first build.
I would awsome if you guys could help me out share some ideas. so Im ready when i pull out that checkbook...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidadavila
well i set this goal for near future for my 01 camaro....complete street car....i want to reach my goal the most economical way possible....once its tuned be as reliable as a stock car, i want it to last a million years....
550HP - streetable, economical, reliable. At least you know already that forced induction is the way to go. That said, there is no such thing as economical.

Rather than try to do this yourself, the only economical way to approach a project like this is to entrust someone who has proven results to spend your money only once. So many people start out on projects like this only to under estimate the commitment (and I mean $$$$$) to actually hit all four points. Buying the same parts 2-3 times is the worst way get there 'economically', so either create a plan and stick to it (no matter how long it takes) or be prepared to bite the bullet.

Best of luck!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
550HP - streetable, economical, reliable. At least you know already that forced induction is the way to go. That said, there is no such thing as economical.
^X2^ Once you start down this road, specially 500+ whp any economical aspect you had they go out the window.

Originally Posted by hammertime
Rather than try to do this yourself, the only economical way to approach a project like this is to entrust someone who has proven results to spend your money only once. So many people start out on projects like this only to under estimate the commitment (and I mean $$$$$) to actually hit all four points. Buying the same parts 2-3 times is the worst way get there 'economically', so either create a plan and stick to it (no matter how long it takes) or be prepared to bite the bullet.

Best of luck!
There is a lot of people out there that say they have done it but very few shops have proven it. Most people that have to really talk or prove a point are either amateurs, or don't know what the hell they are doing. Places like Lingenfelter not only have proven to do so, they give you a warranty. They do not go back on their work, and you have seen them on the road. Stay away from places like Resurrection Motor Sports in Dallas, the guy knows how to work on his car and that's it lol.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x3 have a shop do it that is proven, sucks when you just keep breaking parts. turbo would probably be your best bet
Old 08-08-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a ls7 427 w/ TFS 235s, big cam and very good parts that does not make 550 rwhp. I think w/ exhaust changes it will past that number but I always laugh when people say how easy it is to make 550+ w/ a 402/408.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
I have a ls7 427 w/ TFS 235s, big cam and very good parts that does not make 550 rwhp. I think w/ exhaust changes it will past that number but I always laugh when people say how easy it is to make 550+ w/ a 402/408.
You are right.

454 LSX is the correct way to go
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Before you venture into this process, let me give you one piece of advice:

Fast, Reliable, Cheap <---Pick any two

Hope you do well reaching your goal.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Fast, Reliable, Cheap <---Pick any two
This is not just a saying. It is a proven fact.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
...you're right...but it's easier than it is with a 347 that the OP mentioned as well...which is REALLY going to be tough NA.

It's not THAT much to convert over to a newer (gen 4) engine...if you're building the engine, you can have it built with whatever crank reluctor you want (24x to match your cars computer), and then there's just some minor wiring harness changes...your accessories bolt on, your headers will bolt on, the engine mounts are the same, tranny bellhousing pattern is the same, f-body oil pan will work too...and if it's already built with a 58x wheel on the crank, you can get the conversion box to make it a 24x signal for the cars computer anyways.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i havnt seen many 402/8's above 550rwhp. more like 500-530rwhp
Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

like everyone else is saying 550rwhp is no joke and takes alot of time and money (less time with more money). The easiest and most reliable way is a forged shortblock and low boost. That will give you a pretty easy 550rwhp and be pretty easy on parts. N/A is going to be a beast to unless you can do something with 440+ cubes and pretty exspensive heads.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Best way for cheap, reliable and fast; cheap and proven H/C combo with your LS1 with a 150shot. You will be very very close to 550rwhp if not higher. This what I have.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money, keep that in mind.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all your advice guys, i was checking out golen engines and they have some attractive packages over there 408 for less than $5000 and sdp has short blocks for $4000 for a 383.
talking to my friend yesterday he was telling me about the reluctor wheel and how easy it is to have all the stuff done to fit the car.
im getting a 57 chevy truck next year or maybe a c10 1969 so thats where i plan on putting the ls1..im leaning over to 408 ls2 block l92 heads and a 600' lift cam and see where that leaves mel, after sitting down and thinking about it to get to 50 extra horsepower to meet the 550 goal Im going to have to invest about 5000 more for the procharger atleast. now is the time to try to find somebody that will build such a thing. there is so many builders out there that is hard to know who to trust.i dont have deep pockets and its taking me a while to save up for something like this so I want to make the right choice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 550 hp