Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

NIGHTMARE :s

Old 08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NIGHTMARE :s

i just broke a cylinder head bolt into my block ....every thing was goin just fine (well almost) untill this, what should i do now,,how to get it out???...damn
i was using new stock GM CH bolts (GM# 12495499).
Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how far is the bolt broken off in the block? Try a punch and a mallet, if not that, drill a hole in the center of the bolt, and try a small ez out.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

the bolt was all the way in when half the threded part of the bolt broke in, its the inner long bolt. whats an EZ Out ?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monster81
the bolt was all the way in when half the threded part of the bolt broke in, its the inner long bolt. whats an EZ Out ?
it's a spiral looking drill bit thing that starts out big then goes smaller at the tip. I would try to drill the center of the bolt out, then try the EZ out.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kenSS
it's a spiral looking drill bit thing that starts out big then goes smaller at the tip. I would try to drill the center of the bolt out, then try the EZ out.
appreciate ur help ken, i did a search and found the tool ill see if i can get it locally here otherwise ill have to order it..
Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

appreciate ur help ken, i did a search and found the tool ill see if i can get it locally here otherwise ill have to order it..
alright. i have done this a couple of times before. If it is a stock gm block then you could possibly drill the bolt and maybe it will twist out the bottom of the deck and into the water jackets.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

got it out ....i also got me a thread chaser and went through all the head threads and got lot of crap out ,,i thought the threads were cleaned by the machine shop who did the boring and balancing..but not :S should have checked before installing the heads,,,guess that was the reason for the bolt breaking....now i have to get new ARP bolts and a set of new head gaskets

thanx for all the help KenSS
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Don't forget to lube the bolts when you put them in.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Don't forget to lube the bolts when you put them in.
sure ,thanx
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure ,thanx
put some permatex on the threads and some oil or moly under the head of the bolt and washer.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

since im goin to use ARP bolts this time, ill have to follow their directions. i believe an assymbly lube will already be supplied with the bolts. the original bolts i used previously had some kind of a sealant on the threads,not sure if ARP bolts will have this, but how bout if i use some locktite on the threaeds ?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

You should be using a thread sealer on the bolts, and a moly lube on both sides of the washer and underside of the bolt head. Reason for the thread sealer is that the head bolts go into the water jackets, and they will leak water if not sealed...Loctite makes a good teflon paste (i'm pretty sure that its the same as the ARP thread sealer). Good luck and remember to try and have fun!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jg04222
You should be using a thread sealer on the bolts, and a moly lube on both sides of the washer and underside of the bolt head. Reason for the thread sealer is that the head bolts go into the water jackets, and they will leak water if not sealed...Loctite makes a good teflon paste (i'm pretty sure that its the same as the ARP thread sealer). Good luck and remember to try and have fun!
the bolts were already supplied with the moly lube but i couldnt find any teflon paste around here,ill have to go searching out of town,,, a freind suggested me to use teflon tape and to make sure to wrap it from top to bottom along the thread direction, that is to make sure the end of the tape to face the opposite side of the tightening direction...what do u think ?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the bolts were already supplied with the moly lube but i couldnt find any teflon paste around here,ill have to go searching out of town,,, a freind suggested me to use teflon tape and to make sure to wrap it from top to bottom along the thread direction, that is to make sure the end of the tape to face the opposite side of the tightening direction...what do u think ?
i use black permatex on the threads and never had any problems.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kenSS
i use black permatex on the threads and never had any problems.
thanx for the info Ken, i'll just go ahead with (Peramatix-Ultra Black)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NIGHTMARE :s