Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

600 to spend on suspension. help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 600 to spend on suspension. help!!

my rear shocks are completely blown out. whenever i get on it hard, it wallows all over the place. going over bumps at speed is borderline dangerous. i dont want anything crazy, as in 6 months to a year, im going to upgrade to a 12 bolt and go to coilovers. i just need something halfway decent, dont care too much about hooking hard as i would like to not blow up my 10 bolt. i do want to lower the car just a little, 1'' or so so i was thinking about getting springs too. any helpful ideas? i was thinking the kyb agx's for the back and leaving the front shocks stock, and maybe a hotchkis springsetup. thatd leave me enough for lower control arms and a panhard bar. what do yall think? or are there cheaper shocks out there that still perform decent?
Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are your plans with the car? Decide - there is no magical setup that allows for Drag, RR, AX and DD.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

DD with a little drag racing.. not into autox or roadracing. just want a firm suspension. got hooked up on a free adjustable panhard bar and im getting some used lakewood lowers for cheap. so ill have about 550 for springs/shocks.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
DD with a little drag racing.. not into autox or roadracing. just want a firm suspension. got hooked up on a free adjustable panhard bar and im getting some used lakewood lowers for cheap. so ill have about 550 for springs/shocks.
Just wanted to give you an option for your springs. Our BMR springs will lower your car 1.25". They are guaranteed for life against spring sag. We have the springs in stock and can ship same day if ordered by 3pm est. We also offer the Tokico Hp series (blue Shock). They are a non adjustable shock and they work very well with our lowering springs. Here are a couple pics of before and after with our springs installed and a link to our site. If you have any questions please give me a call.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails 600 to spend on suspension. help!!-stock_ls1_camaro.jpg   600 to spend on suspension. help!!-sp001_ls1_camaro.jpg   600 to spend on suspension. help!!-img_3204.gif  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

$550 for springs AND shocks is not realistic.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

$550-ish is realistic *if* he's wanting to run a not so great combination of parts....

First of all, unless you somehow managed to drive the car while leaving the front shocks home, they have as much wear as the rears do. In addition putting a set of lowering springs on asks way more of stock shocks than they have to give. Add to that you are planning a 12-bolt and the additional unsprung weight that adds, and you want a shock that offers more compression damping.

I'd say AGX's all around ($390/set). I sell Tokico's, and for less than some do, but they aren't adjustable, and have no adjustment to help you setup for the additional unsprung weight, and really aren't that great long term for extra damping lowering springs need. So, you're @ $390/set for the 4 shocks. A set of springs is going to run you around $250 or so (mine are $275 delivered and a 1.2" drop). If you can swing $665 instead of $550 you can get shocks you can do some tuning with and springs that are proven to work. I also sell Hotchkis springs for $259, and Eibach for $229... And H&R. Basically I have a lot options that others can't offer. If you want a 1" drop, that's be Hotchkis...

A reminder to consider the as delivered prices.

Sure there are cheaper ways to go, but that requires compromising either shock damping (and shocks are the single more important thing to make a car's suspension work correctly), or some crappy springs (or both).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!