Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hell of a scare....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hell of a scare....

So im driving at a cruising speed down the street up on Kipling going south near the Federal area. ive got my juice bottle and my nano cracked open, looking for a bit of fun. im just going around 30 mph, and my arming switch is OFF. all the sudden i feel my gas pedal leave my foot and my engine starts to rev. my first instinct was to push the clutch for some reason. at that point my engine proceeds to rev ultra fast up to redline and it bounced off the limiter 2 or three times before i can get my hand to the keys and kill the ignition.
so im still coasting shitting my pants. i pull off at the first turn off which is some federal government area. im sitting there trying to get my heart to stop beating so fast with my lights off, and with the ignition on checking out my guages to see WTF.
so i scan over the guages and i look up to see like 2-3 security guards flashing their flashlights at me motioning to leave. im thinking ****, i dont want to start the car up if its fucked up, but then again if i get out i might catch a bullet through the forehead. so i start up the car and it runs fine. i turn my bottle off in case it was some kind of freak juice shot. the car runs ok, and i start home.
all seemed ok, then once when i blipped the throttle to speed up the throttle held and even went down towards the floor on its own and then stopped as suddenly as it had started.
Now i dont know what the **** is going on, but it scared me and it was dangerous.
now, if this was a nitrous shot, how the hell could it happen?? the arm switch was off, and i was not at wide open throttle. i looked at the guage to look to see if there was a pressure drop from a quick hit, but my nano would just bring it right back up so no check there.
could this be a cruise control malfunction, or traction control? how else could it rev itself?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the cruise control for sure. Some one ealse might shed some light as to why it acted up like that
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

I had something similar happen when a braided line on an old TNT kit got stuck behind the throttle control holding the blade open
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

wow dude, thats some scary **** man, glad you got that thing shut off before something bad happened, but does sound like a cruise issue, just my opinion, you said you felt the pedal leave your foot, as if someone pushed it, sounds like a cruise problem.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

yeah thats what im thinking, but i just dont know. makes me not wanna drive my damn car.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one scenerio that can happen concerning nitrous. it would have to a before the MAF style hit. If for some reason the nitrous was spraying all of sudden the MAF would read this and fuel it and your RPMs would climb and/or stick at a level rpm, depending on how much was spraying. been there done that. If you don't have an old school style dry hit, then start looking else where.
robert
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
There is one scenerio that can happen concerning nitrous. it would have to a before the MAF style hit. If for some reason the nitrous was spraying all of sudden the MAF would read this and fuel it and your RPMs would climb and/or stick at a level rpm, depending on how much was spraying. been there done that. If you don't have an old school style dry hit, then start looking else where.
robert
I have a HSW plate wet kit after the TB. thank you for your iput though. i didnt know if it activated if the fuel and nitrous would be enough to cause something like that. that **** was weird.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 AM
FormerVendor

If your pedal is moving, I would lean towards a cruise control issue. Especially if its happening with the bottle closed.

Nick
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
If your pedal is moving, I would lean towards a cruise control issue. Especially if its happening with the bottle closed.

Nick
I was leaning toward this as well, however i didnt know how the car would behave on some kind of nitrous misfire. the bottle was open at the time, just not armed. so, i didnt know if it were possible that the BMN switch malfunctioned.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check and see if you have any codes stored to get the diagnostics started. Maybe you have had issue with cruise control or what ever in the past and this may give some insight? If you get a number and not sure what it's for I can help ya there.
Robert
Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Check and see if you have any codes stored to get the diagnostics started. Maybe you have had issue with cruise control or what ever in the past and this may give some insight? If you get a number and not sure what it's for I can help ya there.
Robert
im gonna check it tormorow, but i doubt any were thrown. i work at a dealership so im gonna have our elec tech check it out. i will let you know. thanks for the tips though.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Thats not good lol
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

take the cable off the Tb for the cruise and see if it happens if not put it back and if it acts up again it the cruise.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Nick or Robert, for curiosity sakes how would the engine behave if there were a wet kit accidental fire at cruise? would it bog and try to die? would it actually start to run up? i would assume pure nitrous would lean it out and it would die, but with extra gasoline going in, idk. it would probably pool up and blow my head off, idk.