Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spohn TA: Front to back clunking?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Spohn TA: Front to back clunking?

Hi, hope someone has an inkling on this...

At low revs, like 1500-2000, my whole car shakes front to back ( bucking ) and there is metallic clunking noises coming from below the floorpan and rear end.

I have a pretty big cam ( see sig )and some of this may be caused from "cam reversion" and all, but something seems awfully loose.

Certified Performance has checked everything a couple times and say everything is tight with the Spohn Extreme Duty TA mounts and all. ( They did install rubber pads under the TA-to belly pan mount to reduce metallic noise, maybe that's causing more of a problem?)

Could it be a sloppy rear end? (My 4:10 gears were quiet but now howling and seem sloppier than before- maybe going to 3:73's now )

Transmission loose splines?

U Joints? ( Fairly new and it's an extreme duty chrome-moly one)

Just wondered if anyone had similar problem they fixed.

Last edited by rambo benson; 08-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Launching!

Well, now I just read this: ( sorry I lost the page and author )

" I think someone needs to mention how the Moser bolts slip. Even though we may not want to offend any particular company, it is a fact that the Moser design uses four bolts instead of two bolts that go directly through. Many readers of this site have still fallen victim to this including myself. Even when you buy a UMI torque arm for a 12 bolt there is a warning at the top of the instructions that torque arms broken due to moser bolts slipping are not covered under warranty."

What does that mean the bolts slip? What can be done about it? Wire the bolts like they do on aircraft? Spot weld them? ( LOL )

Yeah, part of the reason is to give myself a bump, no traffic yet!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have the helm joint version of the spohn torque arm in the front where it mounts to the crossmember, that is your problem. there is no fix for that because you are hearing the play in the joint as your car moves from accel to decel. mine did the same thing and i sold it.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i've got the same torque arm and have a 9". the front mount on mine is poly instead of a heim and it still sounds like something is fallin apart under the car. i'd double check for any thing loose though. you'll either get used to the noise or wind up sellin it
Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Launching!

Thanks both of you guys....
I think it's poly like Sprayed 99's.
It seems like that's just wrong, I wonder if Spohn has a solution coming...I'll contact them.
Best, Rambo
Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same setup. You probably need to tighten the nut below the front poly mount where it connects to the cross member. Its a locknut so it may feel tight but if you get it a little tighter 90% of the clunking goes away.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

yeah well if my clunking is the torque arm I will not be happy one ******* bit I have this EXACT same noise and it makes the car sound like ****!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Angry

Hey Fall Line, thanks a bunch. Will try that.

No **** NitrOracing21! Hear dat!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same situation I beleive... around the same rpm's I have a UMI adjustable TA though not the spohn, and is connected to a 10-bolt that.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

i have the same issue, and its the bushing at the transmission crossmember. just havent had time to replace it. it definitely is annoying as hell, and every time i go over a bump it clanks real loud LOL. sounds like an old pickup truck.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

you got a part number on the bushing?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Launching!

OK, now I'm out of the country so can't call Spohn...So, I'm once again contacting them by email and requesting they have a tech stop on in here and help us all out.

tech@spohn.net

My TA is the #405 long tube header version with poly end.
I did not notice this before, they also have a "Del-Sphere" End for $22.95.

Spohn, Would this DS end be the better ticket for noise and slop? Or just tighten it more as Fall Line suggested?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Here is what the shop did in an effort to reduce the bucking and clunking noise. Just Photochop here for the idea ( It did not help )

Nice try but bad idea probably in retrospect: The added slop could stretch the bolt holes larger and even make it worse, so we are removing the rubber pads.

Wow, look how beefy the Spohn cross arm plates are compared to the existing thin sheet metal floor car brackets. ( just above the rubber pads)

Seems that should be reinforced too? Otherwise it seems the Spohn is just overkill, as those brackets are just wimpy.

Spohn tech, when you come in please also comment on these two points. Thanks.

Thanks, Rambo
Attached Thumbnails Spohn TA: Front to back clunking?-rubber-pads.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Its just the TA, I had the same version on my car and with an auto it was hardly noticeable, but when I swapped to M6 I couldn't stand the clunking. I sold the Tunnel Mount TA and bought a full length UMI arm and no more clunking

Trust me I installed the rubber between the floor and the TA and the noise was still there, adjusted the pinion angle thinking that was it, tightened everything up with a torque wrench, and the noise was still there.

Sorry but I don't think there is a fix for it
Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 AM
Launching!

Unhappy Spohn Tech come on IN !

Thanks, Turnin20s.

Does the Full length UMI mount to the tail of the tranny or tunnel mount, or.....? I heard of the tranny tail housing breaking over 500hp is a concern.

Is it adjustable? Maybe that's part of the slop. I actually don't know if I need my adjustable, my driveline pinion angle was -1 to zero with a previous solid BMR TA which I sold.

If a Spohn Tech comes in here - would your "Del-Sphere" End for $22.95 help? If not, how about an RGA number and a refund? You guys sold "poly" as quieter and it's just not man!

I'm overseas, but if any of you guys with same problem on a Spohn TA feel like calling them, their number is 1 800 365 6064. If ya do, Please Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Its the torque arm i had the same issues and spent a fortune tryin to get rid of the noise, eventually i just went with a BMR unit and it drives like stock now.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

With the UMI body mount that I have the clunk is pretty damn loud... and I drive an automatic with a stall... not sure how much louder it could get on a m6

Last edited by Ryan33187; 08-14-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing with the Spohn trans mount TA. Almost unbearable
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

My Spohn TA did it pretty bad until I sold it, when I upgraded to my MWC 9" and chromoly torque arm.

The only "fix" I found was to constantly torque the living **** out of the adjustment nut at the crossmember. It was always working loose and clunking around.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Angry Spohn tech come in please!

Maybe I'll just be sure my pinion angle is on the money then just spot weld the m***** f**er!

Emailing Spohn AGAIN! Hello Spohn! Come on in!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spohn TA: Front to back clunking?