SLP/LT1 LS1 conversion radiator? tranny side used as a oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLP/LT1 LS1 conversion radiator? tranny side used as a oil cooler

LS1 conversion radiator? tranny side used as a oil cooler

I have a Procharged 01 SS

I installed the bigger core SLP/LT1 radiator a while back.

OK my car is a 6-speed, and the SLP radiator comes with the tranny cooler part pluged off for manual LS1 cars.

I wanted to run a line from my oil filter area to the tranny side of the radiator and back out to a port drilled and taped into the oil cap as a return to cool off the engine oil a bit.

Now will the tranny cooler built into the SLP/LT1 radiator make a difference to cool off the engine oil? i know its small but it does work to cool off tranny fluid

what do u guys think?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of anyone doing it, give it a try.

Last edited by 99LsOne; 08-10-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: i stupid
Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive debated this with a local performace shop and the conclusion we came to what it wont flow enough to help. you really need a 10an line for it to work right from what i have gathered on my own research as well.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Restricted User

i disagree , it will cool down tranny fluid, it will cool down engine oil too, altho it is a small cooler built into the side , how much will it cool down the oil , who knows, it would be interesting to test it , it would be simple to hook up,

i see people that use remote tranny coolers with only 3/8 lines to cool engine oil
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
i disagree , it will cool down tranny fluid, it will cool down engine oil too, altho it is a small cooler built into the side , how much will it cool down the oil , who knows, it would be interesting to test it , it would be simple to hook up,

i see people that use remote tranny coolers with only 3/8 lines to cool engine oil
well if you already are confident its going to work why come on and ask for an opinion? just do it and let us know how it works. and go to the road racing section. 10an the smallest recomended.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Restricted User

because ut a board where you can ask ?'s and no i am not confident that it will make a big cooling difference, will it cool down the oil passing through it, Yes, will it be enough IDK.
sorry for asking
Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The tranny coolers in the radiators are pretty good if you ask me, thats the only thing keeping the trans cool besides just a small amount of airflow on the trans itself. OP, if its there use it.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
because ut a board where you can ask ?'s and no i am not confident that it will make a big cooling difference, will it cool down the oil passing through it, Yes, will it be enough IDK.
sorry for asking
hey try it out. id be real curious to see how it works. i run an lt1 radiator and it has the provisions also. i have yet to see anyone use one in a stock radiator. just the be cool units. a guy i know road races his z06 and used the radiator and it didnt help much so he added a mocal to it and helped much more. but thats a road race car and lives in the high rpms. mine is only there for a couple seconds

Quick Reply: SLP/LT1 LS1 conversion radiator? tranny side used as a oil cooler