General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

high beam switch...replaceing it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high beam switch...replaceing it?

don't use my high beams ever, generally only to flash someone.

last year tried them and found that i had to pull on the lever a certain way to get them on....but they worked.

used them again recently and can't get ANYTHING. no angle will get them on. checked fuses and relays...all seem fine.

what do i need to do to swap that switch in the column?
could i just hotwire a switch under the dash....for the 2 or 3 times a year i use them?

wiring diagram would be nice.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Launching!

ttt i need to no the same thing anybody no?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably just out of adjustment. You can loosen the screws and move it forward and backward. this happened on my 94 F/B and that's all I did to get them to work again.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

My high-beam switch no longer works also. If you pull off the panels under the steering column, then look at the bottom of the column while moving the lever to attempt to turn on the brights, you'll see a rod moving. That rod pushes a little white plastic switch. In my case, the rod isn't pushing the switch in far enough to activate it.

I was considering adjusting the switch location a bit so it would reach, but the dealer said the rod is bent and the only fix is to replace the rod. My column moves down towards the 7PM location so the column appears to need some maintenance anyway, so I'll fix both at the same time.

Insure the brights are back off after testing the switch before putting it back together (did that)
Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My high-beam switch no longer works also. If you pull off the panels under the steering column, then look at the bottom of the column while moving the lever to attempt to turn on the brights, you'll see a rod moving. That rod pushes a little white plastic switch. In my case, the rod isn't pushing the switch in far enough to activate it.

I was considering adjusting the switch location a bit so it would reach, but the dealer said the rod is bent and the only fix is to replace the rod. My column moves down towards the 7PM location so the column appears to need some maintenance anyway, so I'll fix both at the same time.

Insure the brights are back off after testing the switch before putting it back together (did that)

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa right

That would be called the dealership trying to make some extra $$$$$ off you.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I fixed mine and it was a pain in the a$$. I had the same problem, only at a certain angle I could engage the high-beams. Here is what you will need to adjust that damn switch:

1: take both covers off (driver's side, upper and lowers halves)
2: loose up the steering column mounting bolts, including the f/w ones (I unbolted these ones completely)
3: lower the column down as much as you can
4: there are two 5/16" (or 6mm if I am not mistaken) bolts that hold the high-beam switch.

There won't be much room to work, I cut my hands trying to put the socket and loose them up to move the switch closer. Overall, I cussed GM for a dumb design. The switch looked like an after-thought for the turn-lights switch combo. Why GM couldn't integrate the high-beams into one assembly there like on any import, puzzles me.

Quick Reply: high beam switch...replaceing it?