Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats an ideal rear shock characteristic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats an ideal rear shock characteristic?

I started a thread about converting a Z28 to an SS and it handles like jello when the steering wheel is turned left to right.

Right now I have all OEM SS parts on the Z28 except for the front swaybar.

Today I found some Delphi rear shocks with the same code as the ones on my SS.

The Z28 had monroe sensa tracs on it, I swapped them out for the hell of it.

My question is, when I look for a good shock how should it feel before installation?
The Monroe's would push down real easy and very slowly extend back up on their own.
The Delphi's would push down slightly harder and return on their own about the same, like 50/50.

The previous owner of the Z28 had it set up for drag racing, isn't it ideal for drag racing to have a shock that compresses easy and stays down?

This car is going to see regular street use, like the occasional fast highway off ramp exit and faster than normal turns on the back roads, and maybe a few runs at the drag strip. My SS with stock parts does good in these situations.
So when I pick a shock for this type of driving how should the compression and rebound feel with it off the car?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkBlueLS2
I started a thread about converting a Z28 to an SS and it handles like jello when the steering wheel is turned left to right.

Right now I have all OEM SS parts on the Z28 except for the front swaybar.

Today I found some Delphi rear shocks with the same code as the ones on my SS.

The Z28 had monroe sensa tracs on it, I swapped them out for the hell of it.

My question is, when I look for a good shock how should it feel before installation?
The Monroe's would push down real easy and very slowly extend back up on their own.
The Delphi's would push down slightly harder and return on their own about the same, like 50/50.
Theres no real "good" answer for this because modern day shocks are velocity sensitive, so judging by what the shock does when a human compresses it is not something to go by compared to how it works on a 3500lbs car.

This car is going to see regular street use, like the occasional fast highway off ramp exit and faster than normal turns on the back roads, and maybe a few runs at the drag strip. My SS with stock parts does good in these situations.
So when I pick a shock for this type of driving how should the compression and rebound feel with it off the car?
I think I know what you are doing here. You like the way your SS handles and your trying to get your Z28 to do the same with spending as little money as possible. But heres the thing, your SS, like all Fbodies on stock suspension (save for the 1LE cars) don't really handle that good because the factory shocks are valved so goofy. You don't realize it yet because you don't know what its like with great shocks, and neither did I. I too thought my WS6 handled pretty good stock, but let me tell you its a total joke compared to how it handled with just konis. Its not just about the outright grip the car gained, but rather how much more composed, balanced and easy it was to control at the limit. Spend the money on good shocks its so worth it and you'll thank me later.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, but I never said anything about money.

Beneath it all I said my car doesn't handle like I want it to, my SS handles better, time to look into this.