Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI K-Member raised my car ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UMI K-Member raised my car ???

I just installed my new forged LS6 & UMI K-member.

everything worked and came out good, but i think now i have more front wheel space between the top of the tire and the fender???

does the UMI K-member sit higher ??
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple of factors that make it look that way. First, you have had the suspension unloaded (stretched out) while swapping the k. Give it time to settle back to its normal height. Second, you probably need an alignment bad. Depending on how far off it is may make your car sit heigher until you get it set correctly. GL.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and also when you take weight off the front it will raise because there is less weight to put a load on the springs.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
I just installed my new forged LS6 & UMI K-member.

everything worked and came out good, but i think now i have more front wheel space between the top of the tire and the fender???

does the UMI K-member sit higher ??
Hello
First I would like to say thanks for choosing UMI Performance! Our K Member do not sit higher at all. What is the spring rate that you are using now compared to you old set-up and also like mentioned above when you elimanate some weight you might notice it that way. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Restricted User

O its defently sitting higher and i dont like it at all, there is no difference in the suspension, still using the stock springs/shocks and control arms, nothing has changed. it looks at least a inch higher now. Motor was installed in june , plenty of time to settle. WTF
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned above there is multiple things that can lead to a height change and like Brad mentioned our K-members are designed to keep the engine at the same height. We have checked this on multiple occasions and installs.

Has the vehicle been aligned? Alignment can change the height of the car when it is not correct or not completed. Also the suspension could be a in a bind. If the A-arms were tightened fully while the suspension was in the air this can put pressure on the suspension and put it in a bind. All A-Arm bolts need to be installed finger tight and then tightened fully with the suspension loaded. This could be causing your problem as well, especially if the factory A-Arms were used. I would suggest getting the car in the air, loosen all A-Arm bolts and front sway bar end links, load the suspension fully and re-tighten all the bolts.

Another thing is the weight removed can be a factor, not an inch but some.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Restricted User

no car was not aligned yett, i am going to do that after the Koni's

yes car was put back together while car was in the air , and it was tigntned all up not preloaded, but car rides nice pulls to the right a little but not bad at all.

how can it bind, it went back together perfect and i put 500 miles on it so far, wouldnt the suspension be back in place after a month?

motor is sitting nice looks stock height.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
First get the car aligned and then if you are still not satisfied .Its what they would call bushing bind. By tightening the hardware while the cars in the air and then putting back on the ground the bushings aren't allowing the arms to settle seeing how they are tightened. Like mentioned loosen up the hardware and load the suspension and then tighten everything back to specs. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Last edited by UMI Sales; 08-10-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The A-Arms swing in a arc as the suspension travels. When the car is in the air the A-Arms are hanging fully extended and unloaded. If they are tightened this way all the force of the bolts are trying to hold the A-Arms unloaded and in there relaxed position. Now when you put the car on the ground the weight of the car is going to try to force the A-Arms in place, however with the bolts tight this makes it hard for the A-arms to move into the correct location, this is what we call bind. The stock A-arms have teeth in the bushings to prevent the A-arm from moving and changing the alignment. These teeth dig into the K-member when you tighten the bolts, now this makes it even harder for the A-Arms to move into there correct position.

When you install the Koni shocks re-tighten the suspension as I mentioned above. Then go get an alignment... I think you will notice a big difference.

EDIT- Looks like Brad beat me to it, lol

Quick Reply: UMI K-Member raised my car ???