Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Conduit/Piping/Series of Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Conduit/Piping/Series of Tubes

This isn't strictly a forced-induction question, but I think it may be answerable by people who have experience with forced induction (I don't) and useful to forced-induction newbies (like me):

What is the best/least expensive source for plumbing/tubing/piping/conduit/whatever you call it?

I'm swapping an LQ4 into my old Jeep Wrangler which is equipped with a snorkel. I have to plumb air from the rear of the driver's-side fender wall to an air box/air filter of some sort (I have a good candidate if I can make it fit: an air filter pod out of a 90s Ford 5.4 F150), through the MAF, and into the intake. I don't care so much about restriction at this point. It's just a stock LQ4 and I want to get it running/solid, so I don't really care if one company's stuff flows .005% better than another's. A reasonable price is much more important to me.

Is there a good/inexpensive source for mix and match turbo/intercooler plumbing parts or am I better off buying a bunch of 3-inch exhaust j-bends and and cutting/welding up a custom system? (I'm no stranger to welding.)

...Also wondering about rubber unions and the like since I don't really know how I'd go about joining a welded-up system to the intake/air filter pod/snorkel outlet.

...3" Sewer Pipe? (Hey, it's just an old freakin' Jeep!)

Somebody out there must know ALL about this stuff.

Thanks a lot!
Jake Harsha

Last edited by Jake Harsha; 08-10-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... do I hear crickets?

Anyway, if somebody else searching happens across this stillborn thread, I also posted this on Pirate BB and got some good suggestions:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810571

Thanks anyway,
Jake