General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

compression test

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default compression test

Ok so ive searched and read a few threads on a compression test.

What ive gathered let engine get up to operation temp. remove plugs and fuel pump fuse. block open throttle blade. and stick guage in spark plug holes?
where can i find one of these guages? do they sell them at autoparts stores.
So i have to remove the spark plugs with hot headers, how do you do this without burning your hands.

if anyone has a link to a step by step process that would be great but just a few steps im little confussed on.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any parts store will have one.

I wouldn't warm the engine up beforehand, you'll burn yourself.

General process goes like this:

1. Remove all plug wires from the spark plugs, noting which wire goes to which plug.
2. Remove all spark plugs.
3. Screw the gauge into one hole, start at the front and work to the back on each side.
4. Turn the engine over so that it "hits" 4 times and no more, and write down the reading on the gauge. You'll hear the "hit".
5. Repeat for total of 8 times.

All of this is a lot easier if you hook up a remote starter button, too. Then you won't have to keep getting in and out of the car.

Come back here with your readings if you don't know how to interpret them.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would....warm up the engine for just a few mins....then pull BOTH fuel injector fuses 1 and 2 this WILL DISABLE the fuel and spark.

Pull one spark plug at a time and crank at least 4 strokes with the throttle WIDE OPEN. Record reading. Do all and compare. good engine will have 150 psi on up and the readings will be close to each other. Good luck.