Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft for SMOG Legal LS1/LS6s ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camshaft for SMOG Legal LS1/LS6s ???

Grettings.

I'm looking for hp numbers on stock setups that can compare the LS6 cam to the GM Hotcam. What type of hp gains can be expected? Any LSx stock setup will do.

Also, are there any cams out there that would help out hp without failing the dreaded California SMOG test?

I know these threads have a way of going south. I know folks are going to say stuff like don't wast your money on that or this. Go with something bigger like X. But with living in the land of fruit and nuts I am forced to go mild to pass SMOG so I thank you in advance for any help that you can give.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not that i'm aware of. Does your area have **** cops that check for cat's on the side of the road? Road side sniffer? Rumor has it Orange county does.

I moved away from santa barbara to a county In Utah that has NO emissions...

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wings:

I have not ran the LS6 cam, but the GM Hotcam has pretty decent middle-range HP/TQ, but the lobe profile and lower lift has made that cam a little outdated. I.E., better cams out there now.

To pass smog, you are going to need a cam whose overlap does not exceed -4 to -6 degrees. The GM Hotcam has ~0 degree. It would be hard to get that cam to pass a rigid California smog test.

You will need a cam like a 220/220 114LSA, 222/222 114LSA or maybe a 224/224 114LSA to pass. If you can not legally run longtubes, even those cams might not be your best bet. I believe there are several vendors who might be able to help you out more if you still have to run stock manifolds.

For sure the 220/220 114LSA will pass smog. With longtubes it can make up to ~375HP, and is a nice decent street cam.

Hope the information helps.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe WeathermanShawn is correct that you cannot legally run longtubes, as they require moving the catalyst from the stock location. Mid length headers might work out for your application, but will not net you the gains a quality long tube will.

All the cams he recommended would work, but you might consider something with an exhaust split that helps move those exhaust gases through a less than ideal header. A 218/224 114+2 ground on XFI lobes will come in more like a 220/226. It will have 5 degrees overlap, and the greater duration at .200 lift should make great power.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

op,
look in the western regional section, there are a number of threads in there dealing with the same questions.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We've had the TSP 224R camshaft on a 114+4 pass smog in Cali before. I think that's getting to be the limit though..

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=166&catid=44
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Jason 98 TA,

If I use this on my 05 CTS won't this require a change in the valvetrain? I am told that it will only accept .570 of lift.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usuallt a 224/224 on 114 lsa is the biggest you want to go. And yes you will want to do upgraded pushrods and valvesprings.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Jason 98 TA,

What can you tell me about your Texas Speed 224/224 EX camshaft? It look like that cam's lift approaches the max with my LS6 heads on my CTS-V (.566/.566). Would this one be a good choice over my stock LS6 cam on my 2005 CTS? I presume a 114 LSA would work but wouldn't mind the tone of a 112? Again, I'm trying to keep it CA SMOG legal.

I'd call you guys up to ask all these questions but I'm stuck out in Iraq at the moment. Just planning on how to blow my money when I get back stateside.

THANKS!

Last edited by wingsfan4ever; 08-11-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our CheaTR series of cams will pass smog in CA and make great power with the stock manifolds. I have a couple of new grinds that are a little easier on the valvetrain and actually increase power over the original. Shoot me a PM or give me a call. I have a modded '05 CTS-V as well...

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wings:

By the way, if no one has told you yet..Thank You for service!

If I was a Sponsor, personally I would give you a military discount just for having the guts to be doing what your doing.

I am not going to get in the way of the excellent response you had from two leading cam experts. Texas Speed has done some great dyno work of various cam lobes and lifts. Sometimes you can squeeze out some extra ponies with more lift, but as you said it depends on your heads.

It all depends on whether you are stuck with keeping your stock manifolds. if you do not think you can legally bypass California's strict laws on longtubes, I would definitely do some searches on the "Cheater" cam mentioned. Some people have really made great power with it on the stock manifolds.

Though like you I like some lope, that 112LSA will be tough to get away with. You really have to keep the overlap less than -4 degrees to legitimately pass a sniffer test.

While you can go through all sorts of tricks to register your car in another state, you can run into problems once you exceed driving an out of state car for over 90 days in another municipality.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

WeathermanShawn,

Your welcome and thanks.

It's tough living in this state especially since my home state is Michigan. Plenty of gearheads there who are allowed to do all sorts of fun stuff to their cars.

I've been too chicken to do anything because of the laws on my 2000 Camaro thus far. I've just been so confused over the years when it comes to cams and valvetrain. If I go with the cheaTR 219/230 .607/.604 117 LSA I'm going to have to change springs and retainers. If I go with the TSP 224 cam I'm thinking now that I'll change springs and retainers as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to have to change up pushrods now from one of the comments. Looking for help from Texas Speed or Thunder on this.

Your right though. I've heard great things about Texas Speed, and I've used Thunder for parts in the past. The main goal is more HP for my 2005 CTS-V daily driver while passing the stupid SMOG. Once I get this one licked I'll move on to the Camaro for some more fun! I'll probably find some LS6 heads to sneak in on that one.

Regards,
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock pushrods in these motors are a spring themselves. Especially when pushing a heavier than stock spring on a much faster than stock lobe profile, you will need pushrods to properly control the valvetrain. Even if they were the same length as stock (which they will not, since larger cams have to be cut down to a smaller base circle) you would need stronger pushrods.

Which ever path you choose get home safe and good luck!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Utah question

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Not that i'm aware of. Does your area have **** cops that check for cat's on the side of the road? Road side sniffer? Rumor has it Orange county does.

I moved away from santa barbara to a county In Utah that has NO emissions...

Good luck.
Hey so I'm actually from Weber county, and I'm literally dying to know what county you're from if it's free from the sniffer... Hope I'm not asking too personal of info! Have family all over the state, so wondering if I could work some magic
Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My rule of thumb for passing smog with a LS1 is not to exceed -5 degrees of overlap @.050.

I have had several customers run a 224/224 115+2 that works really well with stock exhaust manifolds and passes smog.

Quick Reply: Camshaft for SMOG Legal LS1/LS6s ???