Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helping a friend out

Old 02-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping a friend out

Since I have no clue on what these cars like, I figure I better ask people who know. My friend has a 97 C5 and since it has 130k on the clock its time for a new engine. He is wanting to atleast put 400+ to the rear wheels. The tough part is its an automatic car. The car currently sports these mods: 1.8's, t-body, breathless performance air intake setup ( the whole thing,) 160 stat, slp long tubes, corsa cat back, Z06 intake. The best time to date with all the miles on the car and those mods has been 12.7x @ 110mph. He is currently adding a TCI super street fighter convertor to make the car leave the line better. He does have the chance to buy a set of fox lake stage 2 ported heads to start building his new engine. What would be a good cam and shortblock to net him 400+ to the rear wheels before he puts a 150 shot of nitrous to the car on the new engine?
Old 02-17-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Helping a friend out

Just curious, but why does he need a new engine? Is it actually going bad, or just because there is 130k on it, it's suddenly worn out?

There is lots of people out there with 100k+ on their cars and they are still running as strong as when they got them. Hell, I even remember a thread about some guy with 250k miles on his vette. Sure it was mostly highway miles, but I wouldn't give up on that car yet.

Unless you really want to spend that money, I don't think it's necessary for a new engine.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Helping a friend out

The car does use what I believe is alot of oil (somewhere around 2qts between changes.) And after thinking last night the nitrous was on the car in 98 so it was run for 4 years with the bottle, and we are talkin at times it was 4-5 days a week having a full bottle put through it each day. He also doesnt feel that its worth the time putting heads and a cam on this engine if somewhere within this year he blows the thing up and has to get another one anyways. So whats a good streetable combo for a auto vette to put 400+ to the rear wheels?

Search this Thread