General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 SS need a how to replace alternator thread PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SS need a how to replace alternator thread PLEASE!

cant seem to find the how to thread to replace an alternator an a 99 SS

if some one can send me a link i would appriciate it i just want to make sure i have the right tools to do the job
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Haynes manual or Chiltons guide @ autoZone $20.

Moving to general repair & maint.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DSM4u2nv
cant seem to find the how to thread to replace an alternator an a 99 SS

if some one can send me a link i would appriciate it i just want to make sure i have the right tools to do the job
Don't remember the bolt sizes. Any basic socket set.

First...unplug the tiny little excitor wire thats plugged into the top rear of the alterntor. Be careful of that little sumbitch.
Disconnect the negative on the battery. Not a big deal but someone always bitches about doing that.
Loosen the serpentine belt.
Take out the two front mounting bolts and the shorter rear bolt. Then take your hand or a rubber mallet and smack it until it breaks free.
You will move the alternator forward up against the electric fan housing.
Disconnect the cable from the back. One small nut under the rubber cover.
You will then simply need to fumble it around till it fits through there and drops down. It needs to be dropped down and out forward of the K-Member and against the fan housing.

Thats it. Put it back opposite.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427

Disconnect the negative on the battery. Not a big deal but someone always bitches about doing that.

I personally can tell you from my experience today this is a must. The ground terminal on the alternator banged against the metal portion of a power steering hose, busting a hole and a huge fluid leak in it. Now I have a car out of commission for several days while a dealer only hose is on special order and I'm about $75 lighter.. don't take shortcuts!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

there are 3 ...........15mm bolts on the front bracket......one is only to the block..........2 go thru the alt to the block.......there is 1 ...15mm and 13mm on the back of the alt......on a small bracket......the nut for the batt wire is 10mm i think......be very careful with excitor wire so you dont break it.......i have found it to be best to unbolt the sway bar so it lowers down to get the alt out....its not that hard
Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
I personally can tell you from my experience today this is a must. The ground terminal on the alternator banged against the metal portion of a power steering hose, busting a hole and a huge fluid leak in it. Now I have a car out of commission for several days while a dealer only hose is on special order and I'm about $75 lighter.. don't take shortcuts!!!
Which power steering hose? I just picked up a high pressure power steering line at Advance Auto for like $30.00. The one that has metal lines for the ends and a length of rubber in the middle. Goes from the reservoir to the rack.

www.rockauto.com also has them.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
.i have found it to be best to unbolt the sway bar so it lowers down to get the alt out....its not that hard
I didn't need to unbolt the sway bar, if you rotate the alternator the right way it will slide out between the sway bar and radiator.

Quick Reply: 99 SS need a how to replace alternator thread PLEASE!