Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

first real suspension piece ordered; kind of excited...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first real suspension piece ordered; kind of excited...

Just placed an order the the first real suspension piece for my car, UMI poly/rodend LCAs.

After I completed the T56 swap, I could really start to feel where the suspension in the car was starting to fall short on hard launches. Any kind of hard launch it would wheel hop like a SOB. Keep in mind the suspension is completely stock minus poly endlinks, poly swaybar bushings and a 1LE bar up front. Excited to see how these LCAs affect how the car drives.

I think a tunnel mounted TA is next; after replacing the TA bushing with a poly piece it appears to be bent? Unless the stock TA has a natural bend, I cant remember?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock TA has a slight curvature to it...

WHat are you setting up the car for, street, strip or RR?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

sub frame connectors should be first mod....
Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
sub frame connectors should be first mod....
. . . Why?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

they'll definitely make a bigger difference in the way the car feels vs lcas.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

because our cars love to twist under a hard launch.... SFCs stiffen the car up. First mod I did to mine and with stock power I noticed a difference. not to mention it prevents body warp.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

its like blind leading the blind around here sometimes.....he still hasnt answered where he's going with the vehicle, which will make a big difference on what suspension changes are needed. yet we have everyone saying sfcS?/ why?
Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
its like blind leading the blind around here sometimes.....he still hasnt answered where he's going with the vehicle, which will make a big difference on what suspension changes are needed. yet we have everyone saying sfcS?/ why?
Thank you. It's really hard to say what the "first mod" of a car's suspension should be.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Thank you. It's really hard to say what the "first mod" of a car's suspension should be.
Hello
You are sooo very right! We could talk/type about this all day. And a lot of people start with a part were their budget will let them. But in the end SFC's LCARB, Torque Arm.....Will come into the plans. Thanks again for choosing UMI Performance and if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

judging by the mods in his sig, he SHOULD have SFCs. there is a thread about first mod and im pretty sure SFCs are up there. Just givin the guy a heads up... that should at least be next on his list.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

because there is almost no way around sfcs no matter what setup you go with. They WILL make a difference for the better. For a single pair of parts these make one of the biggest differences.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

because there is almost no way around sfcs no matter what setup you go with.
Not true if you are building a cage and or saving weight. Also, IMO these could wait if you dont have TTops.....sure they help but I really think it's minimal, compared to other much more effective suspension changes.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

i started to get some very small dimples up high on my rear qtrs. i realize now its from those hard launches and not having sfc's. so these would definitly be one of my 1st mods.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Not true if you are building a cage and or saving weight. Also, IMO these could wait if you dont have TTops.....sure they help but I really think it's minimal, compared to other much more effective suspension changes.
you think they aren't worth much, but I know they are.

Since when have cages been cheaper or lighter than sfcs?

and so what about weight, add pwr to fix it
Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i started to get some very small dimples up high on my rear qtrs. i realize now its from those hard launches and not having sfc's.
See below...taken from another post - from a reliable source.

MHO ... subs won't fix the problem. It's urban legend ...

The dimples in the QP are from the back half leveraging over the rear spring and shock points. Visualize where SFCs stop and then visualize where the weight of the body is loaded. It becomes obvious then.

A full tank of fuel, a huge sub with multiple amps combined with a pot hole or speed bump factoring in lousy shocks and soft springs is what causes the problem.

Just because you got turned out into believing you needed them, doesn't mean others should follow.....

SFC are debatable....and if you knew anything you would agree.

So I'm sure you have valid points but it's really a coin toss the individual should have the right to make.

Not something I would continue pushing as a first mod...
Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

T-top cars its a must. i've seen cars get destroyed because they don't have SFCs and they have a t-top car... First thing I did... easy to install and cheap, and I noticed a launch difference without a doubt.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I don't want to fan the flames here, but I had a 97 bird before I got my 99 bird. I made the decision to get SFC's for my new toy thinking I had some extra money to spend so why not? Looking back on the decision to do them saved the uni-body of my 99. My 97 flexes, body panels are warped and waved, doors don't shut properly, and interior parts rattle anytime it moves. My 99 needless to say doesn't do any of that. I have had it for over 40k now and the body is in exactly the same shape as when I got it minus the rock chips. No one ever said it fixes anything. It prevents the body from sagging and twisting that's it. These guys are trying to save you from the stuff that happened to my 97. If you don't want the help then by all means you don't have to take it. Just first hand experience that they and I are trying to share.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

perfect example... and stiffer the better, amirite?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the stock TA has a slight curvature to it...

WHat are you setting up the car for, street, strip or RR?
Goals for the car have always been to make it a well rounded Street Machine. I make it to the track maybe once a year.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Man I don't want to fan the flames here, but I had a 97 bird before I got my 99 bird. I made the decision to get SFC's for my new toy thinking I had some extra money to spend so why not? Looking back on the decision to do them saved the uni-body of my 99. My 97 flexes, body panels are warped and waved, doors don't shut properly, and interior parts rattle anytime it moves. My 99 needless to say doesn't do any of that. I have had it for over 40k now and the body is in exactly the same shape as when I got it minus the rock chips. No one ever said it fixes anything. It prevents the body from sagging and twisting that's it. These guys are trying to save you from the stuff that happened to my 97. If you don't want the help then by all means you don't have to take it. Just first hand experience that they and I are trying to share.
SFCs and all of this are urban myth. I put SFCs on my car at about 20K. By 35K I took them off. The car has 97K on it now and it is no 'less stiff' than it was then. The doors all shut the same as when new and I don't have anymore interior rattles than it did before either.

Its an OK mod for peace of mind but to say SFCs are the end all be all and your car will fall apart without them is retarded. Most of those quarter panel 'dimples' are from either the situation described above w/ shitty shocks or from some idiot pressing down on the flimsy sheetmetal there. I've had noises the dealer has troubleshooted....they push down there to make the suspension move...and guess what I have little dimples there about how it would look if someone pushed down on it.

SFCs are NOT necessary on these cars. Replacing the crappy shocks IS.