Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

A quick heads up to you guys about used tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A quick heads up to you guys about used tires

I just got word today that all the major tire chains (Sears, Just Tires, etc...) are not mounting used tires anymore. Apparently there have been several lawsuits against the companies that mount them because they blew out. So you are going to have to go to a mom and pop shop to have them mounted.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom and pop tire store won't mount a tire that you didn't buy from them. From a liability standpoint, I don't blame them one bit.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AronZ28
My mom and pop tire store won't mount a tire that you didn't buy from them. From a liability standpoint, I don't blame them one bit.
thats a bit further than the chains are going. i know we can mount any tire as long as its brand new, no matter where you bought it from
Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since i've worked at firestone we were never allowed to mount used tires cause of liability reasons
Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cntrmnt02ss
since i've worked at firestone we were never allowed to mount used tires cause of liability reasons
our policy was that it had to be at at least 3/32 to be mounted. technically there is no liability issue because we are following policy and we cant tell what if anything is wrong with the tire just by looking at it, but in the eyes of the court we are the professionals and are supposed to know everything about the tire, but you cant really.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Glad I know a manager of a tire store. He will mount anything I want including slicks!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Default tire rules FYI

actually the rule is ( and i do not know if it is a law (state or fedearal ) )
is that they WILL NOT mount a tire over 5 years old and they have been practicing this at the tire store i use for the last year and a half

if you look at most tires made in the last 10( +/- ) years or so you will see a 4-digit number that is a date code and reads as such :
the number 5108 for example would indicate the tire was made in the 51st week of 2008 / 0801 would indicate the 8th week of 2001 / ETC. / ETC.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most people go to a mom n' pop shop for used tires anyway. The guys near my house do it all, new, used($25) for z-rated tires, and theyve mounted all kinds of tires even my drag radials. The place looks like crap sometimes but they get it done. I'd rather help them out anyway than give my money to a big corporation.

Last edited by C5natie; 08-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1W
actually the rule is ( and i do not know if it is a law (state or fedearal ) )
is that they WILL NOT mount a tire over 5 years old and they have been practicing this at the tire store i use for the last year and a half

if you look at most tires made in the last 10( +/- ) years or so you will see a 4-digit number that is a date code and reads as such :
the number 5108 for example would indicate the tire was made in the 51st week of 2008 / 0801 would indicate the 8th week of 2001 / ETC. / ETC.
im not sure its a law its just a rule of thumb
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C5natie
I think most people go to a mom n' pop shop for used tires anyway. The guys near my house do it all, new, used($25) for z-rated tires, and theyve mounted all kinds of tires even my drag radials. The place looks like crap sometimes but they get it done. I'd rather help them out anyway than give my mpney to a big corporation.
i would too, but people come in all the time with used tires, myself included wanting them mounted. it sucks we have to turn them away now
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

what's SEARS price matching policy? Won't be able to price match mom and pop shops? Discount tire?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
what's SEARS price matching policy? Won't be able to price match mom and pop shops? Discount tire?
we can price match anybody. in fact i just price matched 555R2s for myself. im getting 2 for under 400 installed. but be sure you bring in a printout or reciept. we dont accept word of mouth. we will take a business card with a price on it, but we will have to call it in
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I find it funny people sued because the companies installed used tires that the customer brought in to be installed. Isn't there something they sign that says that SEARS is only liable for the workmanship not the part since it is a used/outside purchased item?

I don't mess with tire personally I get new tires, used can lead to more issues. Whatever people are retarded they chose to have crappy used tires installed and then they wonder why they spun 15 million times because they were speeding on a used tire. If there is a waiver you sign when getting them installed it sounds like the companies are tired of losing sales so they make a deal with the installers that says we will only offer you X pricing if you say you won't allow used tires to be installed and try to get people to buy new ones.

I dunno though might just be me over analyzing a typical business marketing strategy.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

So for example, I just bought a new set of tires. Drive on them for a year and decide to get a new set of wheels, but no new tires since my tires are still good. That mean that it's going to be a pain to find somewhere that will mount and balance my old tires onto my new wheels? A lot of the mom and pop shops that I am aware of tell me that they don't have the equipment to mount a 315 tire, so I usually end up going to a place like Just Tires.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

hit up a local highschool auto shop, tell them you will make a donation to their shop i did that at my old highschool and it was no problem. They are always looking for ways to make money anyways.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks. I'm still driving on the used 555Rs that I bought several months ago.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
hit up a local highschool auto shop, tell them you will make a donation to their shop i did that at my old highschool and it was no problem. They are always looking for ways to make money anyways.
That only works if you don't care about your rims.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ I did them myself.... so yes now they are scratched to all hell hahaha

but i dont know if i would let the kids do them, the teacher was cool with me doing them by myself which turned out fine.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I find it funny people sued because the companies installed used tires that the customer brought in to be installed. Isn't there something they sign that says that SEARS is only liable for the workmanship not the part since it is a used/outside purchased item?

I don't mess with tire personally I get new tires, used can lead to more issues. Whatever people are retarded they chose to have crappy used tires installed and then they wonder why they spun 15 million times because they were speeding on a used tire. If there is a waiver you sign when getting them installed it sounds like the companies are tired of losing sales so they make a deal with the installers that says we will only offer you X pricing if you say you won't allow used tires to be installed and try to get people to buy new ones.

I dunno though might just be me over analyzing a typical business marketing strategy.
there used to be a form like that but i guess there isnt one anymore
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wickedbusa
So for example, I just bought a new set of tires. Drive on them for a year and decide to get a new set of wheels, but no new tires since my tires are still good. That mean that it's going to be a pain to find somewhere that will mount and balance my old tires onto my new wheels? A lot of the mom and pop shops that I am aware of tell me that they don't have the equipment to mount a 315 tire, so I usually end up going to a place like Just Tires.
sadly that is right
Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im with ya on this one... Cant they just make a waiver for anyone what wants a used tire mounted that they sign saying the business is not liable for anything that happens since they are not one ones selling the tires. I thought that would be standard for even NEW tires.

Ive had NEW tires installed on my R6 and they pretty much told me they would mount them, but they were not responsible. Since even lightly USED tires can look NEW.

I don't mess with tire personally I get new tires, used can lead to more issues. Whatever people are retarded they chose to have crappy used tires installed and then they wonder why they spun 15 million times because they were speeding on a used tire.
This i dissagree with. There is a difference between a $15 mom and pop shop pull off thats got 2k miles left on it... and getting a USED tire. Ive gotten a couple of Eagle F1's because friends of mine sell their cars and want to keep the rims and tires but end up selling the tires. They look brand new and have 3-5k miles on em. I think thats a big difference.

Quick Reply: A quick heads up to you guys about used tires