Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia OZ700 Z-grip review (14,000 miles and counting)

Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Textralia OZ700 Z-grip review (14,000 miles and counting)

So many people, including myself, post up "reviews" of clutches when they first install them, but these actually turn out to be more of a "first impressions" review. We rarely get a review of a clutch well into the life of it unless something goes wrong or it breaks/wears out. That seems to be the nature of people, to just remain silent when things are going well or a product works how it's supposed to, but to post up and raise hell when something goes wrong. I'd like to change that, so I figured it's a good time to post up my Textralia review.

I installed this clutch at about 67,000 miles in the Spring of 2008. It's a Textralia OZ700 Z-grip I purchased from ByunSpeed. I had previously run a Spec Stage 3 right after I first got the car, which burned up in less than 8,000 miles, and then a Spec Stage 2, which was pulled after ~3,500 miles because of disengagement issues (aside from a burn spot from that issue, it was wearing nicely and looked close to new). I also have to be honest and say that a part of that Spec 3 wearing out quickly was because I wasn't used to a performance clutch and I rode and slipped it more than I should have.

Having now paid attention to how I drive the clutch and really practicing slipping it as little as possible for the past couple years, I am happy with my Textralia purchase. I currently have over 14,000 miles on it and this includes three track rentals (15+ runs each) and a few track nights (3-4 runs each). This is launching the car from 4500-6000 RPM on 16" bias-ply ET Streets with 4.10s and an MN12 transmission. And I DO hotlap the car quite often, sometimes 4-5 runs in a row before cooldowns. It would also be helpful to many in this forum to realize that gearing really helps clutch life from what I've seen. The shorter the gearing, the less you have to slip or ride the clutch in first gear to get moving from a stop/dig and the more life you'll get out of it.

Pedal feel on this clutch started out roughly as light as my dad's stock 04 GTO but has actually seemed to get a tiny bit heavier if anything as time has gone on; not a big change, though. Right after the install, I had a small amount of chatter for the first 100 miles or so, but nothing like the extreme chatter from my Spec 3 (the Spec 2 had none), and it went away completely after that. I have experienced no chatter since that first 100 miles. This clutch has remained extremely "streetable", as 98% of the driving I do is on the street (weekend warrior and cruising type driving - a good mix between highway and around town/stoplight traffic). I have to say I'm curious as to how much more streetable the X-grip could be since the Z-grip has been great.

Considering the way I drive this car at the track and on the street (let's just say I don't baby it), I really couldn't ask for more in a clutch. I'm currently knocking on wood that I get more miles out of it but so far I have been very happy. Even if it went now, I wouldn't have any regrets about the purchase, but I have had no hint of slippage or malfunction.

Ask away if anyone has questions.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same clutch had about 5,000 miles on it before I put in behind my new 408 only have 300 miles behind new engine can't wait to see how it does when I can drop the hammer so far feels like it did when behind stock engine. Needless to say I am very happy with my Textralia!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really do need to take most clutch "reviews" with a grain of salt. Even my Tex thread isn't the best because it was right after I installed it but I do plan on updating it.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine's been holding out well so far.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM

this thread helps tremendously because i plan on definatly putting in the textralia but wasnt too sure how well it would hold up to my driving, but the fact about the gears extremely helps me because i always ride the clutch almost all through 1st and i hate it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002TransAm, Rachel
this thread helps tremendously because i plan on definatly putting in the textralia but wasnt too sure how well it would hold up to my driving, but the fact about the gears extremely helps me because i always ride the clutch almost all through 1st and i hate it.
That is a habit you'll need to break yourself of very quickly with an aftermarket performance clutch or you're going to be getting VERY few miles out of it. Between the time you start to release the clutch from a stop to the time it is fully released should take a second or less in normal driving. You also do not want to ride the clutch at all in higher gears and when the car is moving. It should be used strictly as engaged/disengaged/engaged to change gears. There should be no riding at all, and slipping should ONLY take place quickly from a stop.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been pleased with my Oz700 z grip. I've only been able to put about 4k miles on mine so far though.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM

yeah sorry bout that i should prolly clerify, i dont ride it for anymore than 2 or 3 seconds but i know what you mean im trying to work myself out of it, but i heard someone say something like "if you replace the clutch its evident that you need to replace the spinning rod inside when you replace the clutch or it will burn out after 2 weeks or something. does that sound like it could be a possible situation?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Textralia OZ700 Z-grip review (14,000 miles and counting)