Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pedal wont return after master cylinder change

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Default pedal wont return after master cylinder change

ok so i replaced my stock master cylinder with a Ram adjustable one and now i cannot get the pedal to return on its own.. I bled the new master before inserting the line into the slave, meaning when i hold the pedal down and push the line in, fluid comes flying out. so then i proceed to insert the line into the slave, it like clicks in then i give it a tug and it doesnt come back out. so i have whoever is helping me pump it 3 times, hold it to the floor and i crack the bleeder screw, close it, they release and we repeat. Fluid is coming out of the bleeder. but the pedal will not return on its own.

As a test i lowered the car, started it, pushed the pedal in and it wont go into gear.

Everything was working when i pulled the stock master out. my slave would not magically take a dump on me between switching these out. so what gives?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im guessing its still not blead...dump that master and get a tick....it took me ten min to bleed on my own. is it shifting problems your running into?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

At what point was the master adjustd to when you bled it?

-Will
Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Teching In

im havng this same problem only i had a mcleod master and put in a new stock one and bled the line for 2 hours and nothing clutch just goes to the floor and has to be pulled back up
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

FRITZTHELION you aint too far from me, have you tryed a mityvac on it yet? i have one if you want it...some times it works on stock mc's and somethimes it dont...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Have you noticed any fluid beneath the car? If you had popped the slave it would be leaking. So, it is most likely an issue of fluid displacement as a result of air.

Using a Mighty-Vac could help get any risidual air out of the system. I recommend using the vac on the bleeder (found just off the slave cylinder) and on the reservior as well. This should eliminate any bubbles. Give it a try and let us know if you notice any difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did use a vaccum pump to pull some air out in the beginning so that should have sped it up some. im gonna go try and bleed it some more now though.

the only time fluid comes out is when i crack the bleeder and other than that im almost positive there are no leaks, because there wasnt before and i checked under the mc.

Are there any sites that sell the tick master cylinder other than tick? That thing is pricey as all hell!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright so i took it back out and tried bench bleeding it. Well when i bench bled my last one, the stock one, i bench bled it until it got very very hard to push down. On this one, it never gets firm or even gets harder to push down. So what could be bad in it?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by TARZAN
At what point was the master adjustd to when you bled it?

-Will
This is a good point. I could bleed mine all day long with no success until I adjusted the pedal a lot closer to the floor by turning the rod connected to pedal. Which then blew my slave out. Fill reservoir, tighten cap down, Open bleeder, push pedal, close bleeder, and pull pedal back then pump pedal with bleeder closed a few times. It should start stiffening up unless you are pulling more air into the system somehow. Might want to check the quick disco if you undid that also I had the rubber diaphragm on mine that wouldn't tuck back into the cap. It seemed like if I left this cap in the pressure wouldn't come back but when I left it out it would. I'm guessing that's because my slave was dying tho and with a little air/fluid the slave did it's thing but when you got all the air out and it sucked all fluid it dumped it right back out.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i adjusted it to the same length as stock to start off.

but i found the problem, the master cylinder i bought was no good. Go figure! I took it apart and it was rusty and there were bugs in it.. so i cleaned it out and it still would not seal so it was letting air back in. So all i did was take the adjustable rod and put in my old one and now everything is good.

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: pedal wont return after master cylinder change