Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brand new suspension noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new suspension noise?

OK so i have spent the last two days working with my step dad to replace my suspension. Shocks easy STRUTS Pain in the ****!!! so we put in the passenger side strut after two days of trying to get the right part (spring seat) which GM decided to discontinue! so we get this strut in on the passenger side and we run outa time for the drivers side bc i start my senior year tomorrow so i decide to do a test drive and there is this thump each time i hit a bump so we completly tear down the strut and adjust the bolt height on the struts rod throw it all back together and still this thumping up against the wheel well as if something is loose (which i made sure everything is tight) so does anyone know what this could be? i have drive my car pretty far for school and i need this problem resolved soon! could it be different strut height? i still have my old one on the driver side(bc we ran out of time) or has this been a common problem PLZ HELP!!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01firebird01
OK so i have spent the last two days working with my step dad to replace my suspension. Shocks easy STRUTS Pain in the ****!!! so we put in the passenger side strut after two days of trying to get the right part (spring seat) which GM decided to discontinue! so we get this strut in on the passenger side and we run outa time for the drivers side bc i start my senior year tomorrow so i decide to do a test drive and there is this thump each time i hit a bump so we completly tear down the strut and adjust the bolt height on the struts rod throw it all back together and still this thumping up against the wheel well as if something is loose (which i made sure everything is tight) so does anyone know what this could be? i have drive my car pretty far for school and i need this problem resolved soon! could it be different strut height? i still have my old one on the driver side(bc we ran out of time) or has this been a common problem PLZ HELP!!
Did you fully compress the spring so that it is putting absolutely no pressure on the upper mount?

You need to have the spring compressed off of the mount and tighten the top nut to 33 ft/lb. Then release the spring. Otherwise you will get a nice banging every time you hit a bump just as you are describing.

I'm guessing you didn't do this as you are saying you are adjusting the bolt height. There is nothing to adjust about a bolt height, compress spring and tighten and release the spring.

Bad news is you are going to have to pull everything apart again. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

ok i'm gonna jump in with this one also.i installed a set of lwr springs also.i did not have to compress the front spring hardly at all.i just tighened up the nut for the shock till it met
the top of it.and i also have a "knock someware in the front end.but if i compress the spring i'll run out of threads.i bought an set of "nos" 1le springs.did i screw up also?i looked at the fact instruc's but they req a gm tool fixture which would not work with my springs.so school me someone ...please.....
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

correction to my input.i got a set of "nos" 1le shocks not springs as i stated..