Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission sitting for 5 years. Buy or don't buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission sitting for 5 years. Buy or don't buy?

I'm looking for a used 4l60e that I can install in my stock motored car without having to have it rebuilt first. I found a guy parting out a 2000 camaro with 45,000 miles on it, but the car has been sitting for the last 5 years.

If I buy the transmission, should I just drop the pan, clean the valve body, and install a new filter or should I take it to one of the local transmission shops and have them look at it? You hear so many horror stories about transmission shops that I'm hesitant to trust one that I would simply be picking out of the phone book. There is probably a thread on here with advice on how to select a transmission shop so I'll search for that next, but after I select a shop - What should I ask them to check for me?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it was working before the car sat it should be ok the 2000model will have the steel molded pistons so not to much worry on hardedned seals there it should be ok the sitting for 5 years as long as it was sealed is not an issue I have pulled th400s from swamps that have been sitting for 10 years and put them in lol and they were fine
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. 7 minutes before a pro answers my post! Kinda hard to complain about the quality of this forum.

Quick Reply: Transmission sitting for 5 years. Buy or don't buy?