Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Locked piston, replacing both front calipers

Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked piston, replacing both front calipers

I am replacing both 150,000 mile calipers and rotors due to piston failure. I have never done this before but I do know I basically have to remove the banjo bolt that holds the brake line in and then simply take off the caliper from the steering knuckles. My question is, will my brake system fill with air as I remove my brake line? Or is it so minor that I can reassemble everything and then just bleed the brakes? I just want to be sure I am not missing a vital step or process in replacing my calipers.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get air in the line by replacing the caliper but you just have to bleed like normal. There is no way to prevent air from getting in either because you are opening the line. If you have the new calipers you can just swap them out pretty quick with a little brake fluid leaking out but no big mess or anything. If it were me I'd remove the caliper first and then the line and throw the new one on with new copper washers. Make sure the old washers get removed because they like to stick and you won't notice till you have a leak.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locked piston, replacing both front calipers